Volta: Redefining Web Development

Anyone who writes web applications knows that web development is not easy.  Developers wrangle with a soup of technologies distributed across multiple tiers.  We live in a world where programmers accept the fact that they need to know four or five different languages, tools, and environments just to get a site up and running.  In ancient times, the Egyptians built marvelous structures despite the primitive tools that the workmen used.  Building a pyramid took most of the national resources of wealth and labor.  Today, we build structures which are vastly more complicated and yet require only a tiny fraction of the resources.  The difference is in the tools and the infrastructure.

In a similar way, Volta significantly improves web development.  Programmers write web applications using familiar .NET languages, libraries, and tools.  Volta splits the application into multiple parts potentially running on different tiers, say, client and server.  Client code needs only a minimal, JavaScript-enabled browser, though Volta will take advantage of additional runtimes that may be present.

Programmers simply refactor classes that need to run on tiers other than the client and Volta injects the boilerplate code for communication, serialization, synchronization — all the remoting code.  The developer enjoys all of the benefits of .NET: a great debugger, test tools, profiling, intellisense, refactorings, etc.

Just how simple is Volta?  Let’s write an application that uses a button to query the server for a string and displays that string to the client: the hello world web application.

image

Now, let’s write the code for the web page.  We need a Div for the output and an Input for the interaction.  Of course, we could have constructed the page elements with HTML/CSS instead.

using System;

Document.Body.AppendChild(output);
            Document.Body.AppendChild(b);
        }
    }

class C
    {
        public static string GetMessage()
        {
            return "Hello, World";
        }
    }
}

But we want to produce the message on the server.  Time to refactor.

image

Browser clients call the server, the "Origin", because this ensures the message will come from the same server that supplied the HTML.

[RunAtOrigin]
class C
{
    public static string GetMessage()
    {
        return "Hello, World";
    }
}

That is it.  Try it out.

image

Now, click "Get Message".

image

Great.  But is it cross-browser compatible?

image

Yes.  And you can debug it.

image

You can even debug across tiers.

image

There is a lot more to Volta in the first technology preview which was made publicly available at 11 am PST today and there will be a lot more to come.

Still skeptical?  Try it out for yourself.

image

1. I could add a hands-on with Volta to elaborate on my previous post, but Wes already beat me to it on

2. Mike Parsons says:

OK … now turn on Fiddler and watch what comes down over the pipe for this simple application … you gotta be kidding me.

3. Chyld Medford says:

So, you decided to start blogging again…I was about to finally remove you from my feed reader.

4. Jafar Husain says:

Hi Wes,

Does Volta use Nikhil Kothari’s Javascript Converter?  Is it finally being productized?

5. wesdyer says:

Mike:

You are right that a lot is coming down the pipe today.  The first preview is about establishing the right basic feature set.  In the upcoming releases performance will be improved dramatically.

Chyld:

I am glad to start blogging again.  I have a lot to say that I’ve been holding back.

Jafar:

No, it is not using Nikhil’s JavaScript Converter.  One of the things that Volta provides is a deep embedding of MSIL in JavaScript.  So you can also write apps in VB.NET, F#, …

6. Hi, My name is Harish Kantamneni. I am a developer at Microsoft and work for Erik Meijer of the LINQ

7. Erik Meijer and I have discussed Volta a number of times – very exciting to see it released on Live Labs

8. dpirs says:

Oh, finally a new post. Welcome back!

9. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

10. Arno says:

(My first post! Be gentle 😉 )

I’m not really convinced; the reason that I use different programs is to ensure the stages of communication are separated. For example, in your demonstration a button is defined which is exactly what I don’t want; I want to separate the interface from the back-end code. I think, it makes for cleaner programmer practices.

11. Roland says:

Met Volta wil Microsoft de wirwar van methodieken die er op dit moment is om een ASP.NET applicatie te

12. Martijn Veken says:

This looks kind of nice. I’m still a bit sceptical, so I will play around with the hands-on-lab 😉

I do have one concern though: I think that with all the cool new initiatives, Microsofts strategy on web-development is becoming a bit unclear. At the moment we have classic ASP.NET, the ASP.NET AJAX Framework, Silverlight, MVC, Volta, WCSF. All (very! 🙂 nice things on their own, but I think that at the moment there appears to be a lack of cohesion between all of them. They are all trying to solve a piece of the web-development puzzle, but they are not integrated in one solution (yet?). I hope this will become more clear in the future.

13. Always wanted to develop web applications a bit different? Microsoft just release volta, a new way to

14. OnesAndTwos says:

Glad to see you blogging again… Was the same as Chyld and was just about to remove you from my RSS…

15. wesdyer says:

Arno:

Welcome.  Can you explain what you mean by "I want to seperate the interface from the backend code"?  I think that you are getting at the fact that you want to define the button in HTML, is that right or am I missing something?

Martijn:

Yes, there are a lot of technologies in the space.  In some sense, I think that it reflects the confusion we see in the industry at large.  Remember that Volta is an experimental technology preview at this point, so it really is about showing what the future may hold and shouldn’t really influence your short-term planning.  Furthermore, Volta is meant to complement the other technologies: it is a set of developer tools that can/could target various runtime web features.

I’m glad you’re skeptical.  You should be.  Try it out and check out the information.

16. The Volta quickstart as well as Wes ‘ blog post Volta: Redefining Web Development tier-split an application

17. buzina says:

Hi Wes,

It has been quite a while without a post from you, now I understand why. I do like many of the volta ideas. Is there a future plan to do things like:

[RunAtDatastorage] [RunAtDatabase]

[RunAtBusinessTier]

[RunAtPresentationTier]

etc. and getting your works into the database engine (hey translating IL either to IL for MS SQL or to PL/SQL for Oracle) to your SAP (by translating to ABAP) and similar? Are you planning to set this up as a framework, so that others can plug their tiers into it?

Please make it that way …

18. wesdyer says:

buzina:

Do you dabble in mind reading? 😉

I think you will be pleased with what you see in the coming months.

19. I can see two major problems here (this is why i can’t say "great!"):

1) Code samples shows very unstructured code like php or js. It is not look like OOP or component oriented thing.

2) Performance is awfull. Both IE7 and Firefox nearly dies on the samples.

20. wesdyer says:

dreamy_zombie:

I like the name, it is pretty catchy.

I am very interested in why you identified problem (1).  Are you referring to a particular sample or did something about their design make you cringe?

As for problem (2), we know the performance is not what it needs to be.  The first release is a very early prototype.  As I am sure you know, prototypes are most effective when they address the riskiest parts of the design.  We did not nor do we consider performance to be the riskiest part of the design.  We have measured and analyzed performance and know what we need to do to address it.  The riskier parts of the design are how it feels from the programmer’s point of view.

21. Ray Zhang says:

Hi Buddy,

It seems that the icon of Volta looks like firefox:)

22. wesdyer says:

Ray:

There is definitely a similarity.  But it was actually designed to look like the other live labs logos (photosynth, deepfish, …).  Now, were they designed to look like the fox?  I have no idea.

23. David McKay says:

What is the language named for?  The Lake?  The Physicist?  The Bjork CD?

24. wesdyer says:

It is named after the physicist, but it also means "revolution" in portugese.

25. Thank you so much for sharing this. very useful tools