Tip#66: Did you know… how to insert quotes values automatically while typing the attrib values?

It’s a nice time saver if you would like the HTML editor to automatically add quotes for the attribute values while you are typing.

To set this option select Tools->Options. Check Show all settings. From the left pane select Text Editor -> HTML -> Format and check the insert attribute value quotes when typing checkbox.

image

Now as soon as you hit “=” for the attrib value, editor will insert a pair of quotes and show the intellisense for the values accepted.

Select a value from the intellisense and press enter/tab. Cursor would jump out of the pair of quotes (you will have to hit the arrow key after entering the attrib value, if it doesn’t show up a list of values).

image

Deepak Verma
SDET | Visual Web Developer

1. What's New says:

It's a nice time saver if you would like the HTML editor to automatically add quotes for the attribute

2. Thank you for submitting this cool story – Trackback from DotNetShoutout

3. Jason Haley says:

Interesting Finds: May 30, 2009

4. Chandan says:

Thanks for the tip, it saves valuable time, really!

5. Jean Yu says:

Stupid Microsoft.  It should be default setting.

6. Miu Golladay says:

I agree with Jean.  It should be default setting. Thanks Jean.

7. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

8. Here is the latest in my link-listing series .  Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

9. Some good stuff: (Thanks Scott) May 30th Links: ASP.NET, AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, Visual Studio Here is the

10. Hi,

Its a nice tweak.

Thanks,

Thani

11. Pooya says:

I recently was thinking about this. Great find!

12. anup hosur says:

nice article.. we can save time a lot..

13. 【原文地址】 May 30th Links: ASP.NET, AJAX, ASP.NET MVC, Visual Studio 【原文发表日期】 Saturday, May 30, 2009 3:39

14. PetterLiu says:

如果你愿意在HTMLEditor中输入属性值时自动加入双引号。设置选项菜单Tools-

15. Kwyjibo says:

Thank you for posting this! I kept saying to myself…there HAS to be a way to make it put the quotes in automatically. I honestly have no idea why this isn’t turned on by default.

16. Вот последняя статья из моей серии списка ссылок . Также обратитесь к моим страничкам Советы, секреты

17. Kelps says:

I use this setting since VS2005. I always wondered why isn’t this the default setting?

18. This is a great feature except there is a VS bug (that I have reported on MS Connect but has since been closed as non-repro) that has been plaguing me for years across 4 different dev boxes where this setting mysteriously defaults to disabled!

19. Rejan says:

This should have been a default setting. Nevertheless, a good time saver. Thanks for sharing.

20. akshay says:

Thanks.. it is helpfull for me…