To solve this problem, I created a Visual Studio Extension which will install the templates that we shipped with VS2012.
Note: This Extension is by no means supported by Microsoft. It is something I created in my own spare time to make it easier for WebForms developers using VS2010SP1 to use the updated templates that we shipped with VS2012
Download and Use the Extension
- If you are using VS2010SP1, then you can do the following else you can download the extension(ASPNETWebForms) from the VS Gallery
- Open VS2010SP1
- Click Tools – Extension Manager
- Goto Online Gallery and search for “aspnet webforms”
- Alternately, you can search for the name of the extensions “ASPNETWebForms”
- Once you have searched for the extension, it will appear as follows in the search result
- Download the extension/ The templates will show up in the File-New project dialog in the following category(Visual C#– Web)
- To use the installed templates, create the project in “File – New Project – Visual C#-Web – ASPNETWebFormsApplication”
- Once the project is created, follow the instructions in the readme.txt file to Build & Run the project
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/ec79e369-51bd-4212-83d0-71349d038461 has more details about the Extension and also what SKUs are supported.
Please do give feedback on the VS Gallery for the extension for any features/bugs.