API Interface: Mailbox Accessor
API Interface: COM Library with no custom interfaces (IDispatch only)
Business Logic: Messages, AddressBook, and default mailbox Calendar.
Language Support: Any *unmanaged* COM compatible language (C++, VB6, VB Script).
Direct Property Access: Yes.
Product Versions: All versions of Outlook and Exchange up to 2003. Also available for download.
- CDO 1.21 is built on top of Extended MAPI.
- CDO 1.21 is not supported in a managed process. So, don't use it in.NET code.
- CDO 1.21 is not supported in COM+.
- Extended MAPI and in turn CDO 1.21 has different limitations on Exchange and Outlook
- CDO 1.21 is installed as a part of Outlook 2007 and prior and also Exchange 2007 and prior.
- CDO 1.21 is no longer supported for use with Outlook 2010 and later.
Collaboration Data Objects, version 1.2.1
Beginning in Exchange Server 2007 and Outlook 2007, CDO 1.2.1 will no longer be provided as a part of the install of the product. As a result, there is functionality missing that many applications depend upon. CDO 1.2.1 is a package providing access to Outlook-compatible objects through a COM-based API.
How Outlook, CDO, MAPI, and Providers Work Together
Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) 1.2.1 is not supported with Outlook 2010 and later versions
FYI: Why are MAPI and CDO 1.21 not supported in managed (.NET) code?
OUTBOX: Understanding the Exchange store and CDO 1.21
About: Messaging APIs