I was assisting a customer who was struggling with this intermittent error. An iisreset would alleviate the problem temporarily only to resurface within few days again. This is the error details:
Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 8000ffff'
ShowReport.asp, line 36
This problem occurs if a website that you browse is an Active Server Pages (ASP) page that calls a .NET-managed component.
Note This .NET-managed component uses .NET interop functionality.
Here is how we fixed the issue:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. (NOTE: Registry changes can impact your server severely. You need to test this on a Test server first and only to promote to Production after adequate testing)
- Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys, depending on the version of Windows that is running on your computer. If your computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows, click the following registry subkey:
Programs that are 32-bit and run on a 64-bit version of Windows operate in WOW64 mode. These programs access registry keys and values that are stored in a different registry subkey. If you are running 32-bit programs on a 64-bit version of Windows, click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_IGNORE_ZONES_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE_KB945701
Note If the FEATURE_IGNORE_ZONES_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE_KB945701 subkey does not exist, you must manually create it.
- Right-click FEATURE_IGNORE_ZONES_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE_KB945701, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type w3wp.exe to name the new registry entry, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click w3wp.exe, and then click
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Reboot your server.