FAQ on NP .NET Profiler

NP .NET Profiler is designed to assist in troubleshooting performance, memory and first chance exception issues in .NET Applications. You can download the tool from here.

Which version of the profiler to use (x86 or x64) ?

If you are running x86 process on x64-bit machine, please use x86 profiler. If the IIS AppPool is configured to run 32-bit web applications, please use x86 profiler

Profiler is still “Waiting for process to start….”

Here are common causes :

1. Folder permission
    Make sure the np.exe is at c:\temp\np and not in Desktop or My Document or User folder
    Give IIS apppool user account, permission to c:\temp\np folder
    Remove the read-only attribute from the c:\temp\np folder
  2. 32-bit or 64-bit
    If the AppPool is 64-bit, use the 64-bit np.exe. If the AppPool is configued to run 32-bit, please use x86 profiler
    If the process is x86, please use the x86 profiler
  3. Check the event log for errors from CLR runtime
  4. Collect DebugView Logs
    • Download DebugView
    • Close np.exe
    • Start DebugView.exe
    • Enable global win32 capture in DebugView
    • Start np.exe
    • Follow the wizard and click start profiling
    • Make a single request to the IIS application
    • Review the DebugView.exe output

“Failed to CoCreate profiler” in the event log

.NET CLR Runtime failed to create the COM object, make sure the profiler is running under admin privileges
Use x86 profiler for 32-bit process running on 64-bit machine

No logs files are created

Make sure IIS AppPool user account has write access to the output folder.
Make sure at least one request is submitted.

"Files in use" error message when reading the output files

Make sure the application is closed before reading the output files

Profiler crashes when reading large files

Use x64-bit profiler to read large log files captured using x86-bit profiler
Make sure there is enough free hard disk space

Profiler returns empty reports

Make sure the namespace settings during collection is correct, *.* is not a valid namespace option

When profiling Windows Azure process, the profiler is still “Waiting for process to start….”

Extract the NP_x64.zip file to local storage resource directory. It is usually C:\Resources\directory\f335471d5a5845aaa4e66d0359e69066.MyService_WebRole.localStoreOne\ , where the GUID like number is deployment ID and rest is the role name. Azure worker processes will have read/write access to this folder.

If NP.exe is executed from other locations, you may get following error in the event log

:.NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.551 – Loading profiler failed during CoCreateInstance.  Profiler CLSID: ‘{594203B3-BF17-4261-B362-F28A68185A0D}’.  HRESULT: 0x80070005.  Process ID (decimal): 3492.  Message ID: [0x2504].

1. dhruba says:

In the list of application pools, why is 'DefaultAppPool' missing ?

2. Thank you for reporting this bug…it looks like a zero-based-index bug…it is always skipping the first AppPool name. It will be fixed in the next release.

3. Dazz Knowles says:

How do you use this with the ASP.NET Development Server in Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

I have my site running and selected "Web App Hosted in Visual Studio" from the Advanced Options but it just says "Waiting for process to start…"

4. There is a bug In the current release ( Please follow this workaround

5. Helga Baird says:

I get comment 'Failed to cocreate Profiler".  How can I delete all of the np.net profiler from my system.

6. My guess is you were trying to profiler a website and terminated the np.exe process before clicking on the "stop profiling" button or didn’t do the IIS reset after clicking on the "stop profiling" button. Please follow these steps :

1. Open a cmd window, type set COR_ENABLE_PROFILING

2. If the environment variable is not define, just do IISreset. This should resolve the problem

3. If the environment variable is set to 1, goto Control Panel | System | Advanced tab | Environment Variables | System Variables and set the COR_ENABLE_PROFILING to 0 and do IIS reset

Please let me know if the problem exists even after executing these steps. It could be another 3rd party profiler trying to enable profiling. You can get the profiler details from COR_PROFILER or COR_PROFILER_PATH environment variables

7. Helga Baird says:

Hi Prashant,  after reading your answer, I decided to try step 3 ( although I skipped the IISreset, which I thought  would cause too many problems) and it worked.  The error message in the Event Viewer has disappeared.  Thanks so much.  Helga

8. Jasper C. says:

Hi Prashant, I am trying to use your profiler in Server 2003, IIS 6. In profiler, I am unable to get past the "Waiting for process to start…" message. When I check Event Viewer, I am receiving the "Failed to CoCreate profiler" message. I have followed the steps outlined above, but no success.

Using DebugView, I can confirm that the Cor_Enable_Profiling and Cor_Profiler variables are set. However, the first message I receive is:

"wizardIIS7ReadThreadProc() : Failed to create IWbemLocator object. Err code = 80040154"

I have confirmed that following the installation steps on an environment that utilizes IIS 7  results on a working profiler.

Does this mean that this debugger is specifically looking for IIS 7? Do you have any other recomendations on troubleshooting this issue?

9. Hi Jasper, There was a bug in the NPProfiler.dll that impacts only 2003 machines. Can you please download this new version of the dll and let me know if it works for you.

Note : this version of the dll is not signed

10. Gokhan Sengun says:

Hi Prashant,

I am trying to profile a Windows Store App written in C++.

The tool is stuck at “Waiting for profiler to load …”. Do you know what might be the cause?

11. Hi Gokhan,

NP .NET Profiler can profiler only managed Windows Store Apps (Apps developed using C#/VB.NET)

For C++, please use PerfView, here is the link

12. Gokhan Sengun says:

Hi Prashant,

It looks this tool does not support Windows Store Apps. Do you have any new version of it supporting Windows Store Apps?

13. Hi Gokahan,

To profile Windows Store App you need to use NPStoreApp.exe.

Here are steps blogs.msdn.com/…/troubleshooting-performance-issues-in-windows-store-apps.aspx

14. Prasanna says:

Hi Prashant,

Do I need to have visual studio in my machine? Also, wonder why do I need to give IIS apppool user account, permission to working folder? If my application talks to an app server instead of IIS, can't I use this tool for profiling?

I'm new to performance engineering please help.

15. Hi Prasanna,

You don’t need Visual Studio on the machine. Yes, you need to give AppPool user account write access to output folder. By default, the AppPool user account has write access to c:temp, so if you extract and run np.exe from to c:temp, you don’t have to give any additional permissions.

If your application is talking to another service/server on same/remote machine,  you can still profile your application. You will get data only for your application.

Here is the step-by-steps tutorial for troubleshooting performance issues in web applications :

Please let me know if you have any questions

16. Marcelo Amaral says:

Hi Prashant.

I'm using the x86 version of the NPProfiler.dll on a Windows Server 2003 R2.

Now I'm able to start and load the profiler, but I cannot see the results.

I'm facing this error:

CreateFile() failed for ReadOneNPFile(). Last error is 32.

I'll need some help on this.

Here is a link to log files:

17. Marcelo Amaral says:

Hi Prashant.

I'm using the x86 version of the NPProfiler.dll on a Windows Server 2003 R2.

Now I'm able to start and load the profiler, but I cannot see the results.

I'm facing this error:

CreateFile() failed for ReadOneNPFile(). Last error is 32.

I'll need some help on this.

Here is a link to log files:

18. Hi Marcelo,

The error code 32 is ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION. Before opening the reports we need to end the process.

Can you please retry to open the trace files again.

I am able to open the trace files you shared in the skydrive without any errors.

It looks like ToolStripMenuItem is taking time just before calling BevelControl::OnPaint()