The RTM version of Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition GDR R2 is now available for customers to download. The GDR R2 version is the most current release of Database Edition that adds support for SQL Server 2008 and numerous new features. See the GDR R2 download page for more details. The GDR R2 is available to all customers through the same Microsoft Download channel customers acquired the GDR from. The previous version of the GDR is no longer available.
We appreciate customers who participated in service release candidate evaluation program and confirmed fixes in that limited release.
Customers currently using the [9.1.31124.01] version of GDR should upgrade to GDR R2 version [9.1.40413.00] to get the latest set of fixes available for the product.
Customers currently using Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition [9.0.30729.1 SP] should upgrade to GDR R2. It is not necessary to install the GDR prior to installing GDR R2. A project upgrade for projects previously created with the GDR is required when upgrading to GDR R2, but the upgraded project will stay compatible with the GDR. A project upgrade for projects previously created with the Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition [9.0.30729.1 SP] is required when upgrading to GDR R2 resulting in upgraded projects that are only compatible with GDR and GDR R2.
Customers who have installed the Visual Studio 2008 Database Edition GDR v2 RC1 will need to uninstall the GDR RC version [9.1.40320.00] to successfully install the GDR R2. No project upgrade will be necessary for these customers.
The issues fixed in GDR R2 follows:
Note: The GDR R2 release notes identify these fixes with specific repro steps of how the issue is caused in the GDR version.
1. Import Schema from database may fail when product encounters special characters in schema or object name.
2. Import Schema from database always adds permissions to model regardless of the option specified.
1. Aliased external objects do not resolve.
2. Permission type “SEND” is a database level permission.
3. Permissions with multiple INCLUDE or EXCLUDE treatment on its columns generates invalid error.
4. Common Table Expressions (CTE) names should respect the case-sensitivity.
5. Adding a permission with the object name defined as a zero string crashes VS.
6. OpenXML generates invalid warnings or errors in SQL 2000 database projects
7. Sub-queries defined at the column level should be able to reference table sources of the SELECT statement.
8. References to some SQL CLR Assemblies cannot be resolved causing invalid reference errors.
9. Schema Bound VIEWs with CAST function produces invalid error.
10. Validation of Database.sqlpermissions is very slow.
11. XQuery clauses generate invalid warnings or errors in database projects.
12. UNION statements containing unmatched or uneven parentheses generate invalid syntax errors.
1. Visual Studio crashes when comparing a composite project (which has reference to server project) to a database on server with insufficient privileges.
2. Schema Compare option to limit comparison to only objects defined in the source does not work.
3. Schema Compare option to ignore Database Role Membership does not work.
4. Schema Compare write updates to project comments out all children objects when the parent object is ignored in the comparison.
5. Visual Studio crashes when comparing some databases with a encrypted Table Valued Function.
6. Schema Compare write updates to project comments out some parameters when a stored procedure is skipped in the update action.
1. Preservation of Intent doesn’t handle creating a new object using a name that was previously refactor renamed.
2. Deployment fails after a refactor rename operation on a table that has an extended property on a column.
Static Code Analysis
1. SR0014: Maintain compatibility between data types rule throws an exception when analyzing some schemas.
1. Some output clauses for parameters in a STORED PROCEDURE body is omitted during deployment.
2. Composite Projects that have segmented tables and constraints causes an exception during deployment.
3. Deployment silently fails when it encounters unknown or invalid syntax from the target database.
4. Deployment is dropping computed columns when updating column collations
5. Deployment is blocked when computed persisted function column on function change.
6. Deployment fails with “An item with the same key has already been added” after the project is copied to a new location on disk or when the solution configuration is changed with a specific sequence.
7. Unable to successfully deploy on French and Italian builds when the deployment could cause data motion (Localization Bug).
VSDBCMD Command Line Utility
1. VSDBCMD.exe throws exception when importing some database schemas.
2. VSDBCMD.exe throws exception when schema being deployed has multiple references to external dbschema files.
3. VSDBCMD.exe exits incorrectly with code=0 when it encounters an unexpected exception.
Database Project System
1. SQLCMD Variables and Deployment properties files are not being persisted in the .user file when “My isolated development environment” is selected.
2. ALTER ANY DATABASE AUDIT and ALTER ANY SERVER AUDIT permissions are not imported from script.
3. Copying a solution containing a database project with database references to external dbschema files to a new location may causes deployment to encounter an exception.
4. Visual Studio crash when the .dbmdl file is locked by another process.
In order to provide the GDR R2 as soon as possible the following fixes are not included in this release. These fixes will come in a future release.
1. Preservation of Intent fails during deployment when a PRIMARY KEY is renamed .
2. Installing the GDR while Visual Studio may cause duplicate menu buttons under the Data menu.
3. VSDBCMD.exe depends on a registry key which prevents it from running on systems that do not have SSMS or VS installed.
If you are experiencing an issue that is not listed above we invite you to submit the issue to the product team through the Microsoft Connect Site.
A refresh of the Power Tools is scheduled to be released for the GDR R2 version of the product. Information regarding the availability of the GDR R2 Power Tools will be posted in the coming weeks.