Installation of Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 fails with error ‘The pipe is being closed’

ISSUE DESCRIPTION:

ENVIRONMENT:

Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)

Windows 8 (x86 and x64)

Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)

Windows Server 2012 (x64)

SYMPTOM:

The Installation of Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 fails with errors ‘The pipe is being closed’ for several components and then finally with ‘User Cancelled Installation’ (I know you didn’t cancel the installation!!).

clip_image002

RESOLUTION:

To resolve this, you first need to download the complete .iso file for the update 3 from this direct link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=301705

Once you have this downloaded, and extracted/mounted/burnt you need to open an administrative CMD window and navigate to …\packages\WinACK\ and install these 2 patches:

I. Windows App Certification Kit x64-x86_en-us.msp

II. Windows App Certification Kit Native Components-x64_en-us.msp

Having installed this, you can then run the setup for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 using the same .iso file that you had downloaded.

Content by-

Ritwik Sinha

1. Kyle says:

This did not work for me.  🙁

2. Nilkanth says:

I am using Window 7 x64 So How can I install app ceri kit which is for WinRT which is possible only on Windows 8/2012 server pm;u. Any workaround for Windows 7 x64?

3. Kyle says:

No wonder it didn't work.  I guess it is only for Windows 8?  I too have Win 7 x64

4. Cristian Remy says:

It doesn't work on Windows 8 x64 with VS2012 RTM

5. Jerome says:

My environment is Win7 SP1.  I had to uninstall the partially installed Update 3 for VS 2012 then do the steps.  THEN it worked.

6. LV says:

Doesn't work for Win8 either:

7. chubertdev says:

Supported Operating System

Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012

•Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)

•Windows 8 (x86 and x64)

•Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)

•Windows Server 2012 (x64)

8. Selven says:

Works fine on Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Thanks,

S.

9. Jason says:

When I try installing those patches or any of them it says:

?????

10. Ken Ko says:

Agree with Jerome's comments.

I also had to uninstall the partially installed VS2012 Update 3 first, then do the steps, before running again. If i didnt do that, other components of the update would fail.

This worked, but the Update 3 uninstall also broke my original installation (lost my web tools, e.g. MVC 4).

I would suggest following the post-uninstall suggestion to repair your original VS 2012 installation, before performing these steps to install Update 3.

Note also i had to use the MSDN download, the iso available for public download didn't work.

11. Ritwik Sinha says:

Jason,

Your issue appears to be different. Your VS 2012 base installation itself appears to be corrupted as per the error that you are seeing. Try a repair; if that fails you will need a reinstallation of VS. Likely cause is missing installer cache files.

12. Ganesh says:

Am also facing same problem as like Jason told.

error is: The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

i tried to uninstall VS 2012 completly reinstallid but same issue.

even i tried complete reinstallation of my windows 8 OS, but same issue.

so, any one please help me to get resolve it.

13. Marcus says:

I get this same "User cancelled installation" message when trying to install Visual Studio <*ANY* version> 2013. Is this a common issue with Windows 8.1 (not Preview!)?

Skip to main content