Visual Studio 2012 IDE shows “Failed to create a ‘ImageSource’ from the text ‘..ImagesMedium.png’. while accessing file New / file Open dialog boxes.

Recently we worked on an interesting issue with a new installation of Visual Studio 2012. Where the IDE would open but trying create a new project or opening an existing project using the File > Open menu would fail with error an error message. Trying to use the Key board shortcut Ctrl + Shift + N would show the same dialog box with the following error message.

—————————
Microsoft Visual Studio
—————————

Failed to create a ‘ImageSource’ from the text ‘..\Images\Medium.png’.

—————————
OK
—————————

Note: Most of the error message dialog boxes allow the txt to be copied. Just press Ctrl + C to copy the text and then paste in email or notepad.

In this scenario, customer had Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 installed on the machine earlier. Then he said Visual Studio 2012 was installed. It was working fine, until he installed the Office 2013.

Per discussion, the picture viewing software got affected. He mentioned that the Print Screen copy and paste into the MS word would not work etc.

While searching on the internet we came across the following two links.

On examining the computer we found that the computer had “FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 2.4” installed on the machine.

Latest version of the “FastPictureViewer” mentioned here on the web site http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/ is “FastPictureViewer” 3.4.

We discussed about the issue and as it was not very clear how this “FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 2.4” got installed on the machine. As there was no requirement we decided to uninstall the Viewer.

That required the machine to restarted for clean uninstall.

Once the machine was restarted, the Visual Studio IDE 2012 issue was resolved. There were no error messages shown on the IDE start.

Possibly, installing the “FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 3.4” could also be able to resolved the issue if Code pack is need.

Happy coding!!

1. Finally I can use Visual Studio 2012 says:

Uninstalling FastPictureViewer (I had version 1.7) fixed multiple issues with VS2012 for me! Before uninstall I recieved errors in the solution explorer and also the image source error as mentioned above.

Thanks for sharing a solution to this issue!

2. Spoorthi says:

i donot have FastPictureViewer Codec on my system but I still get the error  Failed to create a 'ImageSource' from the text '..ImagesMedium.png'. when I start a New Project in VS 2012. Can you Help?? Let me know if I need to give you any info on my system

3. Frydaze1 says:

I found my solution to this issue: Run as Administrator.

4. mrm@smop.net says:

Thank you. Uninstalling FastPictureViewer Pro solved the problem for me. I would never have thought of that. I am hoping that if I reinstall the latest version of FPV, the problem won't come back…

5. rifat says:

Right click visual studio exe file , add your user account to the sec list and five full control,

additionally click run as administrator, and do drill down and enable this,for,all other users.

the issue,will probably be solved, and also apply latest update.

6. kundan kumar says:

i uninstalled my k-lite codec and there are no any FastPicture Viewer in my system. but the problem with opening new project in vs 2012 remains. give me please better solution.

7. Tom M says:

For those that don't have this fast picture codec and still experience this issue, try reinstalling your MS .net framework. I had installed Sybase dev kit 64-bit and that somehow removed machine.config from my .net framework. once I repaired my .Net framework, Visual Studio operated as normal.

8. Fábio Delboni says:

All response up no resolve my problem! I resolved setup Microsoft Framework 4.5.2 "NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU" 😉

9. Bhavana says:

visual studio 2013 is showing an error when i add page to existing project, opening new project etc but i am able to run previous projects.

the error message is

Failed to create a 'ImageSource from the text'../Images/Medium.png'.

I tried above solution still i am getting same problem pls help me