The Visual Studio 2010 Help-About dialog box and the Splash Screen shows Registered Username and Registered Organization as Microsoft.

While working on a setup issue found that not only the Help > About screen can be changed but the splash screen issue can also be resolved with few changes in registry

The Visual Studio 2010 Help-About dialog box and the Splash Screen show Registered Username and Registered Organization as Microsoft. This could cause problem when you create a new project. The projects create an AssemblyInfo file to save the information about the Owner and the Company. This might show Microsoft as the company and you wanted to get your company name.

The help about dialog: Image 1:

image

Splash screen: Image 2:

image

Cause

The Visual Studio 2010 installation does not provide option enter Registered Username. It is picking up the values from the existing registry settings.

image

Resolution

To resolve this issue we have to follow the steps below. This is a two step process. First the registry
needs to modified, this will show the data in Help About dialog box. Then we have to follow the
next set of process to register the values to appear in the splash screen.

Steps for Help About dialog:

On a x86 bit (32 bit OS) computer follow the below path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Registration\UserName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOrganization

On a x64 bit (64 bit OS) computer follow the below path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Registration\UserName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOrganization

Changing the UserName will change the first line in the help about dialog.
Changing the RegisteredOrganization will change the second line in the help about dialog.

Steps to fix the splash screen:

On a x86 bit (32 bit OS) computer follow the below path:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup

On a x64 bit (64 bit OS) computer follow the below path:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup

Launch Visual Studio 2010 to check if both the issues are resolved or not. Also create a new project to
check that the new information is auto populated.

For testing purpose I followed the process and changed this to Rohit Sarangi and Contoso.com. Here is how it should look like

Image 4:

image

Image 5:

image

Once you successfully changed the registry value you can see the difference in Image 4 & 5.

IMPORTANT Note: Please ensure you have taken a backup of the registry before making any changes.

Content By – Rohit Sarangi

Reviewed by – Soumitra Mondal

1. Dominic says:

Thanks, works exactly as advertised!

2. Rahul says:

Thanks, worked like a charm. My registry did not have a UserName key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeMicrosoftVisualStudio10.0.

However, I added it manually and the new user name came up on the splash screen and the About dialog.

3. Leo says:

Thanks! I'm so lucky. Works fine with VS2010 Premium.

4. Hi,

the first part worked (changing the registry and hence the "about box")

The second part though did not: when I try to run

"C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDEdevenv.exe" /setup

it does not start, error message is "The operation could not be completed"

I am on Windows 7

Any idea what could be going wrong?

thank!

5. Shariq says:

Worked great, thanks for helping us ….

6. i must be doing something stupid, but i cannot get the second part to work… running with the /setup flag. I get error "The operation could not be completed". I am on Windows 7…

any ideas?

thanks

7. Helpful Colin says:

Further to my last comment I have found the answer on another web site for changing the splash screen.

t800t8.blogspot.com/…/how-to-change-registered-owner-and.html

This suggests deleting vs000223.dat from C:ProgramDataMicrosoftVisualStudio10.0

I just put it out of action by changing the name to vs000223.dat.old. There's a lot of data in there and I don't know what it does.

The process is only complete after two restarts of Visual Studio.

As for the RegisterdOrganisation reg key – well I made a mistake and went to the wrong place which has similar data for 32 bit programs.

8. thank you. that fixes it for me as well

9. Leroy says:

Thank you, worked great for me!

I had a misspelling in a user account and the misspelling was all in the registry.  So, I had to do a deep search and replace in the registry (find..replace many times).

Fixing the registry took care of the help..about but the "devenv.exe /setup" took care of the splash screen.

Thanks again!

10. Dustin says:

For those with the operation could not be completed:

Open cmd as admin and run the "C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDEdevenv.exe" /setup command.

11. Dan says:

Great info!

12. Tanner says:

Hello,

This worked great to fix my issue. Thanks for writing it up for us all to benefit.

13. Andrew says:

Worked like a charm. Thanks for taking the time to write this. I messed up when I was setting up my pc and was not able to change my default user account name.

Thanks again.