Welcome!

I’d like to welcome you to the VS Core Editor Team’s blog!

First allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Sean Laberee and I’m a Program Manager with this team.  I work on the Core Editor, Find, Object Browser and Class View.  I originally joined Visual Studio as an intern back in 2000.  I graduated from the University of Waterloo last year (Yes, I’m Canadian) and I’ve been working on the Editor Team ever since.

I’m excited to talk about the new features that the Editor team has been working hard to introduce for Whidbey (aka Visual Studio 2005).   Over the coming weeks and months we’ll have postings on these new features:

• Code Snippets

• Smart Tags

• Find and Replace

• Code Definition Window

• Call Browser

• Emacs and Brief emulations

• and other new features….

We’ll also be posting tips & tricks for getting the most out of Visual Studio.  There must be at least a dozen hard to discover features that can really help out in day-to-day programming.  For example, did you know that pressing Shift+Alt+<Arrow Key> will enable box selection?  Or that Ctrl+I is incremental search?

This is a team blog so you’ll be seeing posts from the developers, testers and designers who are creating the next version of the VS Core Editor.   I hope that you find it interesting to read and to get to know us.

Sean

1. Joku says:

c# Parameter Info "completion pull":

Suppose I am middle of writing a method call:

int x = instance.MethodName(

At this point the Parameter Info box shows:

int blabla (System.Security.Policy.Evidence assemblySecurity,,,,)

assemblySecurity:

Evidence for loading the assembly.

Well now to get further, it takes a lot of keystrokes, especially if I do not have the proper namespace declared with using namespace..;

In this case I do not even know what the heck is this Policy.Evidence, so I Mort would like a bit of help and I press Tab:

int x = instance.MethodName(<TAB>

This brings box with these auto-completion options:

Option 1:

new System.Security.Policy.Evidence(<CARET>)

Option 2:

Create new to previous line (result:)

System.Security.Policy.Evidence evidence = new System.Security.Policy.Evidence();

int x = instance.MethodName(evidence,<CARET>

Option 3:

Look for snippet/example/whatever where both System.Security.Policy.Evidence and typeof(instance) and instance.MethodName appears

Option 4: (if completion can’t be "inferred" or looked from web)

Pull the help page for instance.MethodName

Of course there is case of plain object parameters etc difficult cases, in these cases pressing TAB would bring the option 3 and option 4.

Ok so apparently this should be at C# editor team blog, .. why there is no central page to find these different blogs categorized by team or something.

2. Joku says:

Actually the Option 2 should go like :

System.Security.Policy.Evidence evidence = new System.Security.Policy.Evidence(<CARET>);

int x = instance.MethodName(evidence,

Only if the Evidence does not take parameters, then do it like in previous message..

Also I’m not sure if the Option 1 is really needed in the example case, more likely when filling some Enums like method(bla.bla.some.enum).

3. Joku says:

Great to see the editor team around, always have some feedback on that 🙂

First minor thing that came to me, just to fix quickly those files which may have screwed "Mac" line endings line rrn or otherwise messed.

Find and Replace -> r n support for both "find what" "replace with", if not too impossible to add.

4. Fiona says:

Hi Joku,

Thanks for your post! We have fixed the find for Whidbey Beta1, and are working on the replace for Beta2. In Beta 1, Find & Replace will allow you to find CRs and replace them with CRLFs. Alternatively, you can change line endings by using the File->Advanced Save Options.

Regards,

Fiona

5. Looking forward to this blog…welcome! 🙂

6. Peter Bernhardt says:

I’m trying to learn more about the Code Definition Window and the Call Browser. I’d very much appreciate a brief synopsis on what problems they solve and a development scenario in which they may be of good use. Thanks!

7. Zach Anderson says:

Hi Peter,

I can respond to your question about Code Definition Window:

The basic idea of the Code Definition Window is to give you a glimpse of the source code associated with your current selection (or insertion point) in the IDE, without taking you away from whatever you are doing. When the Code Def Window is up, it will track what you are doing in other IDE windows. As an example, if you are browsing symbols in Class View and you move the selection to a particular class, the Code Def Window should update to display the definition of that class, without taking you away from Class View. The same thing is true for Object Browser and for a regular code editor window. If you have selected (or placed the insertion point within) something, and there is a definition for it in code, that definition should be displayed in the Code Def Window. The alternative is finding the associated code yourself, which is far more distracting from your task at hand.

Note that Ivan has answered your Call Browser question in his "Call Browser" post.

Hope this helps,

Zach

8. GMilano says:

did you think on mouse gestures for VS Editors?

9. Sean Laberee says:

GMilano,

How would you see mouse gestures working with VS Editors?

Thanks,

-Sean

10. Just a little background on Tip of the Week…

Sean and I started “Tip of the Day” on my blog back in…