Visual Basic Power Packs is included in Visual Studio 2008 SP1

After Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 was released to the web, we got a lot of questions and feedbacks from Visual Basic Power Packs MSDN forum.   So when Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 was about to release, we decided to ship  Visual Basic Power Packs with all the bug fixes with this service pack.  While you can still use the web release of the VB Power Packs, it is recommend that you use the version included with Visual Studio 2008 SP1.

If you had installed Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0, you would end up with two tabs in the toolbox, one labeled “Visual Basic PowerPacks” (released with Visual Studio) and “Visual Basic PowerPacks 3.0” (web release).

To differentiate these two versions, the assembly name is changed to Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.VS.dll.   If you have an existing application that is using Visual basic Power Packs 3.0 or lower version, you can upgrade to the new VB Power Packs by deleting the reference to Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll and add reference to Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.VS.dll.

We also provided a new bootstrapper package for the new VB Power Packs.   So if you were using Windows installer or ClickOnce to deploy your application, you need to also change the prerequisites of your setup project to point to the new bootstrapper package.

1. girls school uniforms says:

Now Visual Basic Power Packs making Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack1 more effective.

2. Daniel Smith says:

Will the VB power pack be included in VS2010?

3. Yes, the VB Power Packs will be inlcuded in the VS2010.

4. Chris Timms says:

Are there any plans to make the bootstrapper package (visualbasicpowerpackssetup.exe) availabe for download?

I have a bootstrapper project where all the components are set to HomeSite (i.e. download from the vendor).

As far as I can tell, the VS 2008 bootstrapper doesn’t allow for "mixed" locations for the components. They all have to be bundled with the setup.exe, they all have to downloaded from the vendor or they all have to be downloaded from a single url.

5. Yang Cao says:

Hi, Chris,

I’m not sure if I fully understand your scenario. If you set "HomeSite" to be the install location, it will point to the new bootstrapper package.

Or could you be more specific about your scenario please?

– Yang

6. Will says:

Hi, I copy my project to another computer, and when I open it, got the following errors.

"The designer cannot process the code at line 67: _

Me.ShapeContainer1.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(0,) _

The code within the method ‘InitializedComponet’ is _

generated by the designer and should be manually_

Modified. Please remove any changes and try _

opening he designer again."

I installed Power Packs 3 as someone suggested.

And I have dotnet framework 3.5 sp1 installed.

I am using VS2008 and I have no problem to open the project on another computer.

7. Yang Cao says:

Hi, Will,

Sorry that we cannot tell what the problem is with the error you copied. Could you please log a bug at MS Connect ( so that we could follow up with you for more information?