Later this year Microsoft ships the second version of the Windows HPC Server SKU, Windows HPC Server 2008. This product is a real milestone product for Microsoft and – I certainly hope – for the industry as a whole.
Tejas Karmarkar a HPC Solution Specialist at Microsoft: "Microsoft is making wider adoption of HPC possible by moving “SILO’S” or “ISLAND’S” of HPC in to integrated data center infrastructure. The workflow and interaction with HPC environment can be made seamless by using other Microsoft technologies such as Active Directory, Windows Deployment Services, and Microsoft Systems Center etc."
Windows HPC Server 2008 is about high performance computing on the Windows platform. Or highly productive performance computing how we call it on our main product website www.microsoft.com/hpc.
As with any other Microsoft product there’s a huge amount of information available. Sometimes the amount of resources and the number of different websites can be overwhelming.
Below a categorized list of resources I find very useful to get you started with Windows HPC Server 2008 and perhaps even give you a head start. Even though some links only made it to the misc. section, they point to very useful resources on the web!
The list is by far not complete and it is likely that I forgot to mention one or the other resource. If you know of any great resources that I have missed, please leave me a note.
Getting started with Windows HPC Server 2008
- Corporate landing page for Windows HPC Server 2008
- Windows HPC Server 2008 – Product overview screencast
- Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008 Overview Data Sheet
- Getting started guide
- Technical overview
- Recent news
- Buying the product
- Licensing information
Value of Windows HPC Server 2008
- Kyril Faenov (head of the product group) talks about Windows HPC Server, its value and why it is important
- Windows HPC Server 2008 is #23 in the Top 500 Supercomputer List
- Windows HPC Server Case studies
- Windows HPC Server 2008 in Financial Markets
- Windows HPC Server 2008 in Education, Science and Research
- Windows HPC Server 2008 in Manufacturing
- Windows HPC Server 2008 in Government
- High Performance Computing in Oil & Gas
Administration and maintenance of Windows HPC Server 2008
- Linux/Windows HPC Server dual boot
- High availability on Windows HPC Server 2008, screencast (Part 1 of 3)
- Cluster diagnostics screencast
- 5-Minute intro to the management console
- Windows HPC Server 2008 System Management Overview
Using Windows HPC Server 2008
Developer for Windows HPC Server 2008
- Getting started screencast
- Windows HPC Server 2008 WCF integration (Part 1 of 4)
- HPC Server 2008 Scheduler API Sample
- Overview of SOA Programming Model and Runtime System for Windows HPC Server 2008
Migrating existing application to Windows HPC Server 2008
- Microsoft MPI Stack explained (screencast)
- HPC Code Migration Using SUA
- Weather Forecast and Research application migration
- Classic HPC development using C++
- New OGF Web Service Interface with Windows HPC Server 2008
- Windows HPC Server 2008 and Infiniband
- Information about 3rd party tools and libraries available on Windows
- Beta program site
- Windows HPC Server TechCenter
- Who is building application for Windows HPC Server 2008?
- Windows HPC Community Portal
- Windows HPC Server blogs
- Windows HPC Server Forums
- HPC Show on Channel 9 for developer
- HPC on TechNet Edge for IT Professionals
- Phil's HPC developer blog
- Wenming's HPC blog
- Giovanni's IT Pro HPC blog