Intel to support 64-bit instructions in Xeon line

Now it is official. 64-bit with the appearance of an extended instruction set in Intel's Xeon line and with AMD's 64-bit Opteron and Athlon product line, 64-bit is ready for the masses.

Graig Barett at IDF just announced an extended instruction set for the Xeon processor. COOL.

1. .. says:

Thats nice *files nails and yawns* but customers wont support Intel anymore.

What we need is a 3rd player in the CPU market.

IBM with PPC and / or China and its Dragon CPU.

Im all for a little competition especially when I will be the winner from it all 😀

2. .. says:

I pitty those that use Intel on the desktop when its a bottleneck and costing productivity wheras AMD 32bit and opterons with hypertransport is whipping the llama’s ass.

I have to suffer with Intel at work but hey, its not my money why do I care, I just go for a piss or coffee when I click Build Setup project.

3. tepe says:

My main concern is that AMD do not have a sufficient number of OEM’s supporting the chip. They will wait for Intel to come along with a solution which might take 2 years to catch up.

4. .. says:

Build your own

5. mbecker says:

Most recent discussions with different customers – and also potential – over different European countries showed, that the end users and – in front of all – business decision makers have more and more loyalty to Intel. Intel offers not just a product line – they offer a strategy with pre-sales consulting, support on right problem solution choice and continuos evolution. Not just lower price wins.

6. tepe says:

Not sure that Intel customers get a great deal, but what they do have is a great marketing engine which is the largest attraction for the OEM’s. This means that it is really hard to buy a AMD housed box from a supported OEM.

I am not sure that many companies are going to build their own when the costs are already so low.

However if Intel think anybody will buy Itanium, they have another thought.

Skip to main content