The new X++ editor in action

Most of the new features of the new X++ editor are best show live, so I made this video. Enjoy.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. Petr says:

Broken link

2. Daniel says:

Forgot to mention…

Looks good, I like it. Will be a long time before we move to 6 though.

3. Alex_KD says:

Hi,

Nice!

Will it also support any kind of suggestion after "="?

For example,

InventTable.ItemType =  – I would like to see a list of Enum::EnumMember here.

This feature already have been implemented in AxAssist Add-on solution, which is perfectly work on previous versions of DAX (3.0, 4.0, 2009).

4. Alex_KD says:

Reviewed video again and….

Have you ever see IDC_ARROW mouse cursor in any text/code editor (except DAX)?

Notepad, Word, VS …… those all use IDC_BEAM cursor style. And I think it could be concluded that it is a best practice.

Could you please change mouse cursor in the DAX editor from IDC_ARROW to IDC_BEAM?

IMHO, it will looks more like editor then.

PS Even in this small window for posting comments in your blog mouse cursor is IDC_BEAM not IDC_ARROW.

Regards,

Alex

5. vnicolas says:

Features like the 'enumeration sugggestion'are definitly on our radar. However, we are mostly focusing on getting parity with the existing editor with some chosen added-value.

The arrow is a side effect of the screen recorder. The cursor is of the IDC_BEAM type.

6. DILLIRAJ says:

Fantastic, This is what i have been longing far from the day one of using the x++ Editor as this features are very much available in small editors.

Thanks for the development.  Once i started using i can give more apprehensions

DILLIRAJ

reach me @

rajdil@yahoo.com.

rajdil@gmail.com

7. vnicolas says:

I just noticed that the link to the video was still broken, I should be fixed now. Sorry about that.

8. vnicolas says:

I fixed the link to the video once more. It should work now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

9. J Z Shaikh says:

Hi,

i am new to Dynamics ax. could any body please tell me how can i download its editor

Thanx

10. vnicolas says:

You'll have to wait for the next version of AX to get this editor :-).

In AX2009 or previous version, the editor is part of the client applicaiton. You just need to open a developement workspace.

11. Je_sparre says:

Vincent – thanks.

I have to say that the Block editing features are some of the coolest and most useful I have seen in 2012.

I do a lot of interfaces where working with long lists of variables need to be endlessly typed prefixed etc.

I use the old Alt-O trick a lot.

I was very exited about the block editing enhancements in 2012.

However – it seems that this was backed out again in the prerelease? I cant do any block actions in the editor at all. Is that just me?

12. The feature is still there. There is a minor bug but you can still use it. Here is how:

– Mark the block area you want to edit, for example by using the ALT key and the mouse

– Press SPACE, it won't add a space to the buffer

– Now you can type and the editor will do a block edition

I hope it helps.