The new X++ editor

I am currently working on the next version of Dynamics AX – AX6 and as part of the development experience improvement, my team has been working on a new editor for the X++ language. This editor is based on the same framework than the Visual Studio editor.

Here is how it looks like:

editor_overview[1]

The line numbering and the gradient marking are the first visible signs of a new UI. The rendering is WPF based, so that gives some opportunities for cool graphics.

Here is little more exiting view:

editor_syntax_col[1]

Things to notice, that are new relatively to the existing editor are:

• Support for multiple fonts and styles (comments are in a different font in italic).
  •  Differentiated coloring of strings and numbers.
  •  Operators coloring (in pink here, but don’t worry I’ll most likely change it before we release !).
  •  Change tacking margin.

For other sneak previews at AX6, you might want to take a look at mfp’s blog

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. jonas.bergman@scandisys.se says:

Hi

Excited to see that changes are being done to the editor. My background is in Visual Studio and I miss a lot of the functions that I am used to work with. The toolbar in your example does however hint that the changes you are planning for are far from what I had hoped for.

Do you have any plans for extending the editor to look a lot more like the VS code editor?

E.g. multiple methods in the same window, outlining, screen split, comment away multiple lines, snippets, Ctrl+Space to complete partly written code…and so on.

2. We are definitly improving the editor, using Visual Studio as our source of inspiration. We are also working on several of the features you mention.

3. jonas.bergman@scandisys.se says:

That sounds great, looking forward to see it in action.

4. skaue says:

Looking very nice, indeed! 😀

5. Alex_KD says:

Also you can borrow some ideas from existing Dynamics AX Add-on named AxAssist (www.axassist.com).

This add-on extends standart IntellySense and also contains some other features (like customizable hotkeys, additional toolbars etc).

Will it be possible to write any add-ons for future editor? Will you provide any classes or methods which  will be able to return additional info from editor (e.g defined varibales, position of cursor, etc)?

6. We are definitly also working on making the Intellisense experience better.

The extensiblity model will also be improved. I have had several requests about this, so I’ll publish a post with detailed examples shortly.

7. Rahul Sharma says:

Excited to see it in action !!!

Cheers.

8. Bala says:

The new UI is toooooooo COOOOOOOOL

9. Deepak says:

Hi Vincent Nicolas,

Actually i am also working on Ax 6.0,But I didnot find this view of Ax6.0 Editior.can u please Tell How Could it is Coming different.

10. Sanjiv says:

Hi Deepak,

Please let me know if there are any documents related to Ax 6.0 Installation.

Thanks in Advance