I spent last Thursday afternoon in Kensington Olympia with Mike Taulty, Steve Hall and Dave Hathaway from Xamarin. The event was looking at developing cross-platform apps using Visual Studio, C# and Xamarin and the topics were:
- Mike Taulty demonstrating how to structure and develop your apps for maximum reuse and portability
- Me covering how Visual Studio and Visual Studio Online support app developers
- Xamarin covering how their tools allow you to develop in C#, in Visual Studio, but output Windows, Android and iOS apps.
I really enjoyed the event and Mike’s demo of Portable Class Libraries and Universal Projects/Shared Projects was superb, and the Xamarin guys gave a great overview of how to target multiple platforms with minimal duplication.
A couple of people asked if I could record the demo I did, so I have, and here it is:
- Create VSO project with Scrum and Git
- Create VS Hub App
- Change UI
- Add code and show debugging async calls
- Create Coded UI automated test
- Show performance analysis tools
- Look at Application Insights streaming data
I thought I’d go for a “one-take” record, so it’s not completely polished, and I also forgot to include something I showed in the actual demo – Storyboards in PowerPoint. I’ve uploaded the actual Storyboard I used as recompense, and you’ll be able to see why I’m no designer 🙂