Continued from Version Control Walkthrough (TFVC) Part 2 – Use the local workspace in online mode, we explore the functionality of local workspaces when working in offline mode.
We will disconnect from Team Foundation Server and make changes both inside and outside of Visual Studio. With local workspaces in offline mode, you can quickly begin editing a file when your network connection is unavailable or unreliable.
Disconnect from Team Foundation Server
- Open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges
- Execute iisreset /stop from the administrative level Command Prompt. The message Internet services successfully stopped should be displayed
Make changes inside and outside of Visual Studio
- Repeat Part 2 to make changes to Guard.cs from the FabrikamFiber.Web project using Visual Studio.
Note if you receive a TF400324: Team Foundation services are not available from server localhost\DefaultCollection message then dismiss it; the message is simply notifying you that the Team Foundation Server cannot be contacted and that Visual Studio is working offline.
- Repeat Part 2 to make various changes outside of Visual Studio
Note, the first task in this step is to open the solution folder in Windows Explorer using the Local Path link in the Source Control Explorer. This link is not available because you have disconnected Source Control Explorer from Team Foundation Server so navigate to the solution folder manually.
Next up: Version Control Walkthrough (TFVC) Part 4 – Explore the diff and merge tools
Please send candid feedback!
We need your candid feedback. Here are some ways to connect with us:
- Add a comment below.
- Contact us on our blog.
- Version Control (ex Branching and Merging) Guide
- Prerequisites & Part 1: Create a new local workspace
- Part 2: Use the local workspace in online mode
- Part 4: Explore the diff and merge tools
A special thank you to everyone who laid the foundation this and ither version control guidance: Anil Chandr Lingam, Bijan Javidi, Bill Heys, Bob Jacobs, Brian Minisi, Clementino de Mendonca, Daniel Manson, Jahangeer Mohammed, James Pickell, Jansson Lennart, Jelle Druyts, Jens Suessmeyer, Krithika Sambamoorthy, Lennart Jansson, Mathias Olausson, Matt Velloso, Matthew Mitrik, Michael Fourie, Micheal Learned, Neno Loje, Oliver Hilgers, Sin Min Lee, Stefan Mieth, Taavi Koosaar, Tony Whitter, Willy-Peter Schaub, and the ALM Community.