Last week I blogged about “Running Hyper-V on Nano”. Today I want to talk about the opposite process – running Nano from Windows Server 2016 TP3 as a guest on Hyper-V.
There are a number of changes in the TP3 build that make this really easy to do. The first is the inclusion of PowerShell scripts that streamline the process of creating a Nano virtual machine. All you need to do is:
- Mount the TP3 installation media
- Change to the “NanoServer” directory on the TP3 installation media
- Load (via dotsourcing) convert-windowsimage.ps1
- Load (via dotsourcing) new-nanoserverimage.ps1
- Look at the help for “New-NanoServerImage”
- Create a VHD that contains the GuestDrivers package (and any other configuration options you want to choose).