Over on the virtualization team blog – Mike Sterling has just announced the availability of the Linux Integration Services v2.1. And there is a lot to announce here. Along with the previous support for our high performance virtual storage and network adapters – this release brings in the following new features:
- SMP Support: All supported Linux distributions can use up to 4 virtual processors per virtual machine.
- Integrated Shutdown: This means that you can finally shutdown Linux virtual machines directly from the Hyper-V / SCVMM management consoles – without needing to login to the virtual machine first.
- Time Synchronization: Linux virtual machines will now have their clocks updated to deal with things like “saved states” just like Windows virtual machines.
- Heartbeat: The virtual machine heartbeat allows you to confirm that Linux is still running and responding inside the virtual machine.
These integration services are supported on the following guest operating systems:
- Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3
- Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2 / 5.3 / 5.4 / 5.5
You can download the integration services here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=eee39325-898b-4522-9b4c-f4b5b9b64551