The System Center Operations Manager management pack for Windows Server 2008 R2 is now available. In fact it has been available for a while now (since 9/18). Unfortunately I missed this because this was delivered as an update to the existing Windows Server 2008 management pack – with no change to the name. But trust me, it does work for R2 servers as well.
You can get the new management pack by either downloading it manually from here:
Or you can open your SCOM Operations Console and:
- Go to the Administration view
- Select Management Packs in the left panel.
- Select Download Management Packs… from the action panel on the right.
- Click Add on the Select Management Packs page.
- Click Search on the Select Management Packs from Catalog.
- Find Windows Server and the select Core OS 2008.
- Make sure that three management packs under here have a release date of 9/18/2009 – if yes, install them for Windows Server 2008 R2.
Also, most Windows Server role management packs (Hyper-V included) have already shipped similar updated management packs that support both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. This means that right now you can use System Center Operations Manager to monitor all aspects of a Windows Server 2008 R2 environment.