The Hyper-V Manager is normally displayed under the Server Manager, and as a stand alone entry under Administrative Tools. However – I like to make my own customized MMC Console for Hyper-V. Specifically I like to have the Hyper-V Manager, Hyper-V Authorization Manager and Event Log all on the same console so that I can easily access all three of these items. To do this you just need to:
- Open the Run dialog (launch it from the Start menu or press Windows Key + R).
- Start mmc.exe
- Select the Console Root entry in the left panel.
- Open the Action menu and select Rename.
- Enter the name you want to be displayed for your Console (I am using Hyper-V Tools).
- Open the File menu and select Add/Remove Snap-in…
- From the Available snap-ins list select Microsoft Hyper-V Servers and click Add >.
- Then select Event Viewer, click Add >, select Local computer and click OK.
- Finally select Authorization Manager, click Add > and click OK.
- Now configure the Authorization Manager as was discussed yesterday.
- Resize the window and the left and right panels as you want (I have mine maximized).
- Open the File menu and select Options…
- Change the name from Console1 to something else (I am sticking with Hyper-V Tools).
- You can even change the icon if you want.
- Change the Console mode to User mode – full access and click OK.
- Finally close the MMC Window and choose to save your changes.
You now have a customized console with all the tools you need.