After having some problems recently to install a TFS platform, I decided to post some tips and tricks about it.
Even if your favorite search engine (just in case I precise Bing www.bing.com ) is your best friend to troubleshoot errors with a copy/paste of the error number or/and error descriptions, you can have multiple causes for the same error. You will find mine below and even if it does not fix your problem, it’s a kind of checklist.
- TFS31001: Team Foundation cannot retrieve the list of team projects
- This error is most of time linked to security permissions
- If you try to access to http://<yourreportserver/reports/pages/folder.aspx and you do not see folder content with your admin account
- If you try to access to the TFS webservice /services/v1.0/ServerStatus.asmx">http://<yourapptiersserv>/services/v1.0/ServerStatus.asmx and you get a 403 error. With Fiddler, you determine the authentication process is ok and you just do not have permissions
- Potential solution: Run your Visual Studio/Team Explorer as an administrator
- TFS31002: Unable to Connect to this Team Foundation Server
- This error is also linked to security permissions
- Check your server name syntax, check in IIS your application pools are started as well as your TFS windows services
- On my side the problem was linked to the Workgroup edition, you have to declare your users/groups as licensed users.
- TFS30224: Failed to retrieve projects from the report server
- Check if your reportserver is up
- Check if the Reporting Services service is started
- One solution is to reinstall the SP1 of TFS2008 after the installation of Team Explorer.