Few months back I demonstrated how to apply custom branding automatically to personal sites or SkyDrive Pro sites in Office365 or on-premises using remote provisioning techniques. Example which I shared was aimed more for on-premises and I’ve received numerous emails related on how to update the app in a way that it would also work in the Office365. Thanks for Kirk Evans on helping to solve the right permissions for the app.
This example app has been now updated with few new additional capabilities, which were also asked often. Here’s the sort list of the included updates.
- Code updated to Visual Studio 2013
- Few modifications to ensure that it works properly in the Office365
- Uploading of custom Contoso theme to each personal site before applying it to the site
- Optimization of the code by storing indicator when branding has been applied, so that it’s not done numerous times for nothing
- Debugging mode switch for app part to hide or show additional information related on app processing
- Tested with Windows Azure and with accounts with only visitor permissions on site where added
Previous blog post explained the process already pretty well, so I won’t be explain the process in detailed in this post. I have however created new video recordings where the actual implementation is explained in detailed, including all the new capabilities. There’s also separate blog post which explains how to install this app to Windows Azure and shows the steps to perform for getting things up and running with Office365.
Video is available for download from my SkyDrive if needed for offline purposes.
If you need any guidance on how to setup this with Windows Azure, please check the details from my separate post, where we have video demonstrating the needed steps for installing this provider hosted to Windows Azure and to use that with your Office365 tenant.
Few useful links and recourses
- Code example used in video – ‘SharePoint 2013 – Contoso.PersonalSiteBranding.zip’ – SkyDrive
- Console App used in the video is also available from the SkyDrive. Named as ‘SharePoint 2013 – Contoso.SetThemeToSite.Console’
- Direct link to YouTube video – YouTube
- Offline access to video from my SkyDrive
- Customizing SharePoint 2013 personal sites using SP Apps with remote provisioning – Initial blog post from August on this topic with more details and few pictures on process.
- Setting up provider hosted app to Windows Azure for Office365 tenant – Guidance on how to setup this example to Windows Azure and connect it to Office365
- Getting started developing with social features in SharePoint 2013 – MSDN