· How long have you been using VB?
18 years, started with GWBasics
· What industry do you work in?
Application Development for Local Government
· How big is your development team?
Around 150 developers
· What kind of apps do you most commonly build?
Various business applications for Government Agencies and public like Fire Rescue, Public Safety, Court System etc.
· What’s the most interesting app you’ve ever built?
Multi Tier Win Form application for Fire Rescue, the application was designed in Early 2003 when .Net was still in Beta. Application used vb .net winforms for front end calling Web services to business layer and data access. Another interesting application we developed was for Disaster Managment using Ajax in early 2005 when again ajax was new for .net world. The application had very cool UI
· Please tell us about an app that you’re working on at the moment.
Working on a real estate site using Silverlight 3 and plan to use Bing maps with silverlight to add some jazz to the site
· What other technologies do you most commonly use?
Oracle as back end database
· What are some of your favorite VB features?
Readability of the code, Optional Parameters (now even C# will have it :))
· What do you like most about VB as a programming language?
VB has evolved from a very basic simple language (during mid 90s) to a powerfull OO language, and it’s still very simple and readable. It’s easy to pick up and that makes debugging also easier.
For other interviews in this series, please visit http://imavb.net.
Are you a VB, too? Submit your story here!