Microsoft is a recognized thought leader in Identity: since the Geneva announcements wave in PDC08, we opened a dialog with developers for helping you to reap the benefits of claims based identity with the .NET framework. And today we RTM’ed WIF! 🙂
During the past year we rolled out many successful initiatives, from the Id Element show on Channel9 to the Identity Developer Training Kit. Today we are raising the game again, by releasing the Identity Developer Training Course on Channel9.
Why The Identity Developer Training Course
The hands on lab in the kit were designed specifically to help you to address the most common scenarios, as gathered at events and indicated by the search engine queries that landed visitors to our blogs; however, once the content was packed in the training kit it was totally opaque to search engines and direct queries, leaving the full burden of discoverability to the short description in the download page or blog posts & tweets.
The Identity Developer Training Course represents the unbundling of the Identity Developer Training Kit: all the labs documentation is now unfolded and hosted by Channel9 on the public internet, ready to answer YOUR queries right when you need it.
Once the content is on line, an entire new range of possibilities opens up: we can complement the content with instructional videos that can be streamed on-demand, roll continuous updates without forcing you to re-download the package, and many others we are considering for the next releases.
Discover Identity at Your Own Pace
The content is designed to provide a gentle introduction to the claims-based approach to identity and the Microsoft technologies that developers can use to put it in practice: in this release we focus on Windows Identity Foundation and the Access Control Service. The course also offers more advanced content, which will appeal to experienced developers and will help beginners to move to the next level.
Just to give you an idea of the kind of content we make available, here there’s a list of the units we offer in the first version of the Identity Developer Training Course:
- Video: Welcome To The Identity Training Course
- Video: An Introduction to Claims-Based Identity
- Web Sites and Identity
- Exercise 1: Enabling claims based access for an ASP.NET Web Application by generating a local STS
- Exercise 2: Customizing the Credentials Accepted by a Local STS
- Exercise 3: Accepting Tokens from an Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) STS
- Exercise 4: Accepting Tokens from Live ID
- Exercise 5: Invoking a WCF Service on the Backend via Delegated Access
- Web Services and Identity
- Exercise 1: Using Windows Identity Foundation to Handle Authentication and Authorization in a WCF Service
- Exercise 2: Accepting Tokens from an Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) STS
- Exercise 3: Invoking a WCF Service on the Backend via Delegated Access
- ASP.NET Membership Provider and Federation
- Exercise 1: Enhance an ASP.NET Membership Website with Identity Provider Capabilities and Use it from a Third Party Website
- Identity and the Windows Azure Platform
- Video: What is the Access Control Service?
- HOL: Introduction to the .NET Access Control Service
- Exercise 1: Using ACS with Symmetric Keys
- Exercise 2: Using ACS with SAML Tokens
- HOL: Federated Authentication in a Windows Azure Web Role Application
- Exercise 1: Enabling Federated Authentication for ASP.NET applications in Windows Azure
You can go through the course “cover to cover”, or pick and choose the references that can help them with the task at hand.
Get on board!
The interest in Identity has been growing at steady pace for the last year: with the RTM release of Windows Identity Foundation and the cloud services getting more concrete every day, we expect the interest of the community to grow further.
Developers skilled in identity matters are in preciously short supply, and our courses represent an easy (and FREE!) way to acquire a skill in high demand. If you want to get on board:
- Go through to the online identity developer training course…
- …or download the classic identity developer training kit
- Explore our end to end sample, FabrikamShipping, or our ASP.NET custom controls (here and here)
- Subscribe to the Id Element show on Channel9 to hear about the latest news in Identity directly from the protagonists
As always, we look forward for your feedback: please let us know what works and what you would like us to do differently!