How to collect setup logs?
In case you encounter .NET Framework 4 or Visual Studio 2010 setup failure, we would need setup logs to investigate the failure.
To make this task easier, we have created a tool (collect.exe) that helps finds and creates a zip file of all relevant logs on your computer.
Here are the steps:
- Download collect.exe from http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
- You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
- The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.
For more details on the usage of the tool, you can refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/pages/collect.aspx
Reporting setup errors?
If you would like to report an error, please collect logs as described above and choose from the options below.
- Search or post on MSDN Forums in .NET Framework Setup or Visual Studio Setup and Installation. This is a community-driven web site on which Microsoft employees also participate.
- Report installation issues or provide feedback for Visual Studio on Microsoft Connect. You may upload logs using Connect. This allows us to view and manage bugs, and customers to vote or provide additional details in a consistent manner.