VS08Setup

Visual Studio 2008 Setup Troubleshooting Guide

State of Visual Studio 2008 Setup

Windows Vista

Windows XP & Windows 2003 Server

Setup pops up error message box in the middle of installation or setup returns failure screen

Look in this document

Look in this document

Visual Studio 2008 doesn’t start properly after installation

Contents

1.      Visual Studio 2008 Setup displays a dialog box during the middle of setup indicating failure

A)     Relevant only if you are running setup on Windows Vista:  Visual Studio Setup shows a dialog box with following message: Error 1935: An error occurred during installation of assembly ‘XYZ’

B)     Dialog box indicating that pre-release components are present on the computer

C)     Visual Studio setup shows a dialog box with following message “Error 1330. A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file d:\cab2.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt.”

D)    VS 2008 Professional Edition Trial version setup gives following error message – “Setup has encountered a problem while trying to copy: F:\setup\VSSetupWatson\DW20.exe”

2.    Visual Studio 2008 Setup displays a setup failure page indicating end of setup

A)    Is beta version of Office Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system installed on your computer?

B)    Did you install pre-release versions of Visual Studio 2008 on your computer? Sometimes, few components are left behind on the computer and could cause VS 2008 Setup to fail.

1.     Visual Studio 2008 Setup displays a dialog box during the middle of setup indicating failure

A)   Relevant only if you are running setup on Windows Vista:  Visual Studio Setup shows a dialog box with following message: Error 1935: An error occurred during installation of assembly ‘XYZ’

Next steps

Workaround 1:

Reboot your machine and restart Visual Studio 2008 setup.

Workaround 2:

If Workaround 1 doesn’t work,

1. Reboot the machine

2. Disable windows update (start menu -> windows update)

3. Restart VS setup

4. When VS Setup is done, enable windows update (don’t forget this step!)

B)   Dialog box indicating that pre-release components are present on the computer

Symptom

Setup would pop up following message box: “Thank you for participating in the Beta program. You must uninstall all the pre-release products in a specific order before you can continue with setup. For detailed information, see the uninstall support page and the readme – XYZ component name “for example component name could be MSDN Library for Visual Studio Orcas – ENU”

Next steps:

The dialog box message specifies the components that need to be uninstalled from the machine.

1.      Go to Add/remove programs and remove the prerelease components in the correct order specified at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/bb964521.aspx. Uninstalling in correct order is important to ensure that all dependencies are met.

2.      Try running Visual Studio 2008 setup again.

3.      If it fails again with same message box, then identify the components reported by the message box.

a.      If those components can be found in Add/Remove programs (in control panel).

i.      Go to Add/Remove programs and remove those components. Restart setup.

b.      If those components cannot be found in Add/Remove programs (in control panel).

i.      Are these components Microsoft Windows Vista Client Headers and Libraries (6001.16533.121)” and/or “Microsoft Windows Vista Client Utilities for Win32 Development (6001.16533.121)”?

Yes? – Go to this blog post to remove these components <TODO: Insert link>

ii.      No?

1.      Use this post to get list of all components installed on your machine.

2.      Search for the component that is listed in the message box in %temp%\log.txt. If you can find the component in the list you would see something like this.

MSDN Library for Visual Studio Orcas – ENU

Product code:        {90120000-0021-0000-0000-0000545446}

Product state:        (5) Installed.

Package code:       {182AE326-20FA-438A-ABA8-C29E58CF320A}

3.      Use product code for that component (as highlighted in the list above) to uninstall it.

a.      In the above example you would use following command on command line.

Msiexec /x {90120000-0021-0000-0000-0000545446}

4.      Repeat steps 2 and 3 for all components that you see in the message box.

C) Visual Studio setup shows a dialog box with following message “Error 1330. A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file d:\cab2.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt.”

Next steps:

1.      If you are downloading & running setup from internet, try to download again.

2.      If you are running setup from DVD or network share, copy complete Visual Studio DVD on your local computer and re-run setup.

D) VS 2008 Professional Edition Trial version setup gives following error message – “Setup has encountered a problem while trying to copy: F:\setup\VSSetupWatson\DW20.exe”

Next steps:

1.      Check the file size of the file that you downloaded. It should be 3.3 GB for VS 2008 Professional Edition Trial Version, if it’s less than that it means download didn’t happen properly.

2.     Because this file is large, we recommend that you use a download manager to download it.

2. Visual Studio 2008 Setup displays a setup failure page indicating end of setup

A)  Is beta version of Office Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system installed on your computer?

Next steps:

1. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall beta version of Office Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system installed on your computer?

2. If you don’t find it in Add/Remove programs run msiexec /x {30120000-0020-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}

B) Did you install pre-release versions of Visual Studio 2008 on your computer? Sometimes, few components are left behind on the computer and could cause VS 2008 Setup to fail.

Next steps:

1.      Go to %temp% folder

2.      Open log file whose filename starts with “dd_install_vs_”. For example, If you are installing VSTS, filename would be “dd_install_vs_vstscore_90”

3.      Go to the end of file.

4.      In the log file, search for “Not attempting to call MsiInstallProduct()!!!! Baseline not met!” (Search up as you are at the end of the log file J)

If you find this text, then you could have pre-release components on your computer. Otherwise, your setup failed because of different reason.

5.      Just above the line where you found text above, look for

=================

DepCheck: gencomp97 [Note: may or not be present]

DepCheck: gencomp320 [Note: may or not be present]

DepCheck_Result: 1

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition – ENU: Install(): bAttemptInstall: 0 [should be present]

================

6.      Components in front of “Depcheck:” are the ones that you need to uninstall before continuing with the install. A) Gencomp97 corresponds to Microsoft Web Designer Tools B) Gencomp320 corresponds to Microsoft Document Explorer 2007 (not 2005). Please note that there could be other components too.

You would need to remove whichever components are listed. For example, if you see DepCheck: gencomp97, you would need to remove Microsoft Document Explorer 2007.

Steps:

1.      Use this post to get list of all components installed on your machine.

2.      Search for the component in %temp%\log.txt. If you can find the component in the list you would see something like this.

Microsoft Document Explorer 2007

Product code:        {90120000-0021-0000-0000-0000545446}

Product state:        (5) Installed.

Package code:       {182AE326-20FA-438A-ABA8-C29E58CF320A}

3.      Use product code for that component to uninstall it.

a.      In the above example you would use following command on command line.

Msiexec /x {90120000-0021-0000-0000-0000545446}

4.      Repeat steps 2 and 3 for all components that you see in the logs above.

Note: If Visual Studio setup fails while installing any component after .NET Framework 3.5, Microsoft Web Designer Tools and Microsoft Document Explorer component, please follow following steps.

After fixing setup failure issue, if you run the setup again, setup would launch in maintenance mode. To install other components, go to add/remove features and install features that you want to install.

Note: If these issues persists, you can collect setup logs using utility mentioned at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/08/01/4172276.aspx and send them on : vs2008deployment at hotmail dot com

1. The Avalanche of add-on&#39;s for Visual Studio 2008 has started. I thought it would be useful to keep

2. There are a couple of links that I want to post here in the hopes of making them easier to find for anyone

3. You wrote: "6. Components in front of “Depcheck:” are the ones that you need to uninstall before continuing with the install. A) Gencomp97 corresponds to Microsoft Web Designer Tools B) Gencomp97 corresponds to Microsoft Document Explorer 2007 (not 2005). Please note that there could be other components too."

Did you mean to write that one of these two corresponds with Gencomp320?

4. osman mostafa says:

I need this product for parallel computing simulation

5. I just arrived back from my trip from Asia, and decided to celebrate (since I’m jet-lagged and can’t

6. Mutamblog says:

Links 24/Jan: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Visual Studio, .NET, IIS

7. Steve Kovner says:

I installed VS2008 on Server 2008 RC2. No errors during installation; the log file looks fine.

But it doesn’t work afterwards. I cannot compile C++, or debug C#.

Trying to compile a C++ program says the "C++ project engine is not properly installed", followed by a VS crash. (I’ve sent the error report)

Trying to debug C# says the debugger isn’t installed. If I try to register it, I get access denied – and that is as administrator.

Can I get this to work? Cross-compiling a project that involves C++, COM, and .NET gets very messy; would prefer to build on the target platform (2008 server, x64)

8. VarunGupta says:

– Just go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall ‘Visual Studio 2008 Beta2code name Orcas products’ –

9. – Just go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall &#39;Visual Studio 2008 Beta2code name Orcas products&#39;

10. Hi Tom van Stiphout,

You are right, I meant to write gencomp320 in place of gencomp97 in one of the places..Thanks for pointing it out..

11. Hi Steve Kovner,

Sorry to hear about your issue. I would try to help you here.Can you refer to following post and upload zip file to http://skydrive.live.com/ or some other server & send me the link.

-Varun

12. Steve Kovner says:

I can put the logs on a company FTP server, but I’d rather not post the password. Is there a way to email you the password?

You can email me at

steve dot kovner at mirror-image dot com

Thanks

13. Steve Kovner says:

I have put the file vslogs.cab in a skydrive shared directory, with the name VS2008

However, I’m not sure how to refer to this directory.

I gave you explicit permissions (both from your email address and the vsdeployment one)

If you have trouble accessing them, please respond.

They use my verizon email address, given above.

14. Steve Kovner says:

Sorry – I used my verizon email as my windows live id, and gave my work email.

The windows live one is

steven dot kovner at verizon dot net

15. Nathan says:

Is it possible to install Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition on Windows XP Pro, SP2?  I’ve tried on three machines so far, each resulting in the following stop error:

STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X805E024F, 0XA00DBB00, 0X00000000)

All three machines check out fine under the Windows Memory Diagnostic.

16. 曹振华 says:

ASP.NETMVC框架路线图更新

【原文地址】ASP.NETMVCFrameworkRoad-MapUpdate

【原文发表日期】Tuesday,February12,200…

17. mehdi says:

when run project in vs 2008 show error message under:

error while rtying to run project:could not load file or assembly ‘AssemblyName’ or

one of its dependencies.the moudle was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

18. mehdi says:

when run project in vs 2008 show error message under:

19. George Harris says:

I have the same problem than Steve Kovner

when i install visual studio 2008 team system the setup program says that it could not register vsmacros.dll and VCProjectEngine.dll the code error is: 1911

and when Trying to compile a C++ program says the "C++ project engine is not properly installed".

20. Kim Hamilton says:

I can get my work machines into pretty odd states due to various private/beta versions of Microsoft products

21. Cigno says:

I have Vista 64 SP1.

Cab error installi MSDN library for VS2008.

I uninstalled Microsoft Document Explorer, the i run msdn library setup again and everything started working fine.

Hope this might help

cheers

22. Johannes says:

Hallo

I just got Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition. I uninstalled all express editions and restarted my computer. Then when I insert the VS2008 installation DVD my computer can’t access it. Any other DVD works but not the VS2008 disc. The DVD  light just flicker the whole time but nothing further. Any suggestions?

23. Pranav says:

Here is my error and I cant seem to resolve this with so many solutions I have tried.

[01/28/08,17:15:21] setup.exe: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467259.

24. shafeer says:

Hello Varun,

A good detailed problem solver i could say…

I need an help from u… can u plz send me Cab26.cab file to my mail id

shafeer.ali<at(encrypted for security reason)>gmail.com

so that i will not be downloading 3.8 gb files again. your help in this rgard is required.

Regards

Shafeer

25. joe0532@hotmail.com says:

I found that if you move the location of program files and the specified location ends with / (i.e. e:, instead of e:); the install will fail at the Web Authoring Component.

26. raghu says:

HI

I am Having the same problem of installing Vs2008 like

DepCheck: gencomp320

but in my system there is no Microsoft Document Explore 2007 but still iam getting the error and more over the installation is giving error after installing Microsoft Document Explore 2008 can you please help me

27. Data capped says:

c1) Try downloading again.

All 3.3Gb of it? Why does it seem to me like a really bad idea to bundle everything in to one big iso… 6.6Gb just to not really know what it was?

28. gokce says:

Having this problem:

any help?

29. Hi gokce,

Can you post your question to following forum?

Various folks (including me) help on that forum.

-Varun

30. Michael Paul says:

Received the DW20.exe cannot be copied error.  Repaired .NET 3.5 Framework on 2008 server and was able to install VS2008.  Comments I found in another blog:

"I’ve seen two other reports of this issue, and we think it is related to the .NET FX 3.5 Setup not succeeding.  If you can send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) I can loop you in with someone who can help investigate and get this fixed."

31. Edgar Hernandez says:

Hello, vs2008 install without problems but the controls toolbar I get off and if I add the login form, for example, tells me that you can not add "Reference System" to the project. I have Sql Server 2005 with Service Pack 3 and Visual Studio Team System 2008 on Windows 7. I need help.!

32. Hello Edgar Hernandez,

Sorry to hear that you are running into an install issue. I would suggest that you uninstall Visual Studio 2008 using uninstall tool (go.microsoft.com/fwlink) and then reinstall Visual Studio 2008.

-Varun

33. RahulBhaneja says:

Hi Varun,

I too have problem in installing  Vs2008. Can you please tell me what are all the system requirements?

But you have explained very clearly no doubt in that, your step by step explanation is very useful and impressive but still i have problem in installing. please tell me how rectify it?

godwinsblog.cdtech.in/…/requested-page-cannot-be-accessed.html

34. Miguel says:

I spent a lot of time with this problem. Finnaly the problem was becase the environment variable %PROGRAMFILES% had a trailing slash and the end.

I changed "C:Program Files" to "C:Program Files" and worked fine