I have finished three new videos that are about doing .NET GC Heap memory investigations using the PerfView tool and have posted them to Channel Nine.
- Basics of .NET GC Snapshots
- Investigating Memory Leaks: Part 1 Collecting the data
- Investigating Memory Leaks: Part 2 Analyzing the data
The first video gives you the basics.
- Determining whether you have a Memory problem and whether the problem is the GC heap.
- Exactly happens when you take a heap snapshot (PerfView does sampling of large heaps).
The second two videos describe a real life example: How I used perfView's heap dumping capability to resolve a memory increasing issue in perfView itself. I go through all the steps, from how the problem was first discoverd (by noticing memory growth in TaskManager) to finding a fix, and validating the the fix worked.
You may also be interested in a background MSDN article that I helped write a few years back that is still very relevant Memory Usage Auditing for .NET Applications.