A virtual machine for you to try out the new Visual Studio 11 Beta ALM is now available. It includes hands-on-labs / demo scripts.
Brian Keller explains in his post Visual Studio 11 Application Lifecycle Management Virtual Machine and Hands-on-Labs / Demo Scripts that you can use the virtual machine to roll up your sleeves and start learning about the many capabilities we announced at TechEd North America last year.
Brian Keller writes, “You can download and install the beta of Visual Studio 11 (and Team Foundation Server 11, .NET Framework 4.5, etc.) and even use it in production with our “go live” support. But if you would like a fast way to understand what is new for application lifecycle management in this release, this virtual machine is pre-configured with all of the necessary software and sample data for you.”
There are a few limitations of the virtual machines due to the demos that are explained in the post. That said, the virtual machine is configured with:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta
- Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Team Foundation Server Beta
- Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Microsoft Project 2010
- Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Sample users and data required to support hands-on-lab scripts which accompany this download and exercise some of the new Visual Studio 11 application lifecycle management capabilities introduced in this release.
There are six hands-on-labs for you to take a scripted approach towards learning this content. These labs double as demo scripts in case you want to show off these features to others:
- Agile Project Management in Team Foundation Server 11
- Building the Right Software – Generating Storyboards and Collecting Stakeholder Feedback with Visual Studio 11
- Diagnosing Issues in Production with IntelliTrace and Visual Studio 11
- Exploratory Testing and Other Enhancements in Microsoft Test Manager 11
- Making Developers More Productive with Team Foundation Server 11
- Unit Testing with Visual Studio 11 – MSTest, NUnit, xUnit.net, and Code Clone
See Keller’s post Visual Studio 11 Application Lifecycle Management Virtual Machine and Hands-on-Labs / Demo Scripts for more information about how to get started.
About Visual Studio 11 Beta
Delight your customers with high-quality applications built using the next generation of development, team collaboration, and application lifecycle management tools.
No matter the size or complexity of your organization or project, Visual Studio 11 Beta can help you turn your ideas into software. Large development teams will enjoy the full breadth of features offered in Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta and Visual Studio 11 Test Professional Beta, while smaller teams can enjoy success with tools optimized for their needs with Visual Studio 11 Premium Beta and Visual Studio 11 Professional Beta.
Download ”Visual Studio 11” Beta and .NET Framework 4.5 Beta and learn more about the new features by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio.
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation