An updated platform preview of IE10 for the Windows Developer Preview is now available for download. This IE10 preview adds even more support for HTML5 technologies, enabling richer Web applications with significantly improved performance. IE10’s hardware acceleration of technologies like SVG, CSS3 transforms and animations delivers faster rendering than other browsers.
With this fourth Platform Preview, developers can start working with more site-ready HTML5 technologies. You can read the full list here in the IE10 developer guide. Here are a few highlights:
- Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) for safe use of XMLHttpRequest across domains.
- File API Writer support for blobBuilder allowing manipulation of large binary objects in script in the browser.
- CSS user-select property to control how end-users select elements in a Web page or application.
- Support for HTML5 video text captioning, including time-code, placement, and captioning file formats.
You can see a video of the rendering and get more information on each of the features on the IE Blog post HTML5 for Applications: The Fourth IE10 Platform Preview.
These foundational capabilities are what developers building native applications depend on:
- Working with binary data and files.
- Controlling selection and hit testing in application UI.
- Providing accessible video content with captioning.
The features in this platform preview are available to Web pages now.
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation