Microsoft announced that the rollout for updates to the “Mango” release of Windows Phone has begun. The Windows Phone team shared that we started rolling out the update to customer handsets and shared lots of developer goodness and started rolling out RTM updates to dev devices.
And now the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 RTW release is now available on the Microsoft Download Center for immediate download and update.
The tools now include some great new capabilities:
- NuGet allows you to easily keep your plug-ins and code library packages up to date
- The profiler just plain kicks – who doesn’t love being able to see where performance bottlenecks are occurring in their apps?
- Time to market for apps has been significantly decreased and first pass rates increased with the inclusion of the Marketplace Test Kit
- The emulator supports the ability to feed in location and accelerometer data, as well the ability to take screenshots
- The Microsoft Advertising Ad Control is now included as part of the WPSDK installation (and now available in 11 countries outside the US)
The underlying developer platform includes a massive number of API changes and capabilities that developers have been asking for (background agents; fast app switching; Silverlight 4; XNA/Silverlight Interop).
The Release to Web (RTW) release consists of seven additional release languages, final finishing touches to the tooling experience, a handful of bug fixes, and additional upgrade logic to provide a better installation process for users coming from earlier tools.
Check out these posts for more details:
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation