Wade Wegner has written a post on the Windows Phone Developer Blog that explains how you can Build Windows Phone Applications Using Windows Azure. The post explains how to get started building cloud apps using the Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows Phone, how to get the toolkit, how to start your application in Visual Studio, and how to manage user authentication.
Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows Phone provides a set of Visual Studio project templates that give you an advanced starting point for building Windows Phone applications tied into services running in Windows Azure. The toolkit also includes libraries, sample applications, and documentation.
Version 1.3 has been released last week which includes some great updates, including:
- Support for SQL Azure as a membership provider.
- Support for SQL Azure as a data source through using OData.
- Updates for the Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio 1.4 and the Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 RC.
- Upgraded the web application ASP.NET MVC 3.
- Shipped the full source code to BabelCam, which is now available in the Windows Phone Marketplace.
Wade includes a link to a video on Channel 9 that explains how to get started. The post also walks you through the steps in building out your application on Phone.
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation