Practical guidance for Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, which is focused on modeling tools, is available on Codeplex. This release includes common usage scenarios, hands on labs, and lessons learned from the community discussions.
You can learn about how to architecture your application by either reverse engineering an existing application or starting a new application from scratch. These are both common challenges that any dev lead or architect faces. The intent is to present you with examples that show how Visual Studio Ultimate’s tools can support you in real world scenarios, and to provide you with practical guidance and checklists, instead of an in-depth tour of the product features.
You can learn more Visual Studio 2010 Architecture Tooling Guidance on Codeplex.
The content is packaged in separate zip files to give you the choice of selective downloads, but the default download is the first of the listed packages:
- Common Questions and Scenarios –> Start here
- Hands-On-Labs (HOLs), including:
- New Solution Scenario (HOL)
- Explore an Existing System Scenario (HOL)
- Creating extensions with the feature extension (HOL)
- Extensibility Layer Diagrams (HOL)
- Reusable Architecture (HOL)
- Validating an Architecture (HOL)
- Overview and “how to” Videos
In addition you will find informative videos in the downloads and the sample source code of the Scenarios Visual Studio Extension Guidance Package, which is based on the hands-on lab (HOL) “Creating extensions with the feature extension”.
The Visual Studio Extension can be downloaded from the Visual Studio Gallery.
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation