The updated version of SQL Azure now supports Database copy, adds new How-to documentation, and an update to Project “Houston”.
About Database Copy
Database copy allows you to make a real-time complete snapshot of your database into a different server in the data center. This new copy feature is the first step in backup support for SQL Azure, allowing you to get a complete backup of any SQL Azure database before making schema or database changes to the source database.
The post entitled SQL Azure Service Update 4 on the SQL Azure Team Blog provides additional details.
The Database copy provides an additional layer of backup in addition to the multiple copies of the individual data already maintained by SQL Azure with each database write.
Also in SQL Azure Service Update 4
- Development: How-to Topics (SQL Azure Database) on MSDN Development Center.
- Check out Microsoft project Microsoft Project Code-Named “Houston” (Houston), a light weight web-based database management tool for SQL Azure.
What is SQL Azure
Microsoft SQL Azure Database is a cloud-based relational database service built on SQL Server technologies. It provides a highly available, scalable, multi-tenant database service hosted by Microsoft in the cloud. SQL Azure Database helps to ease provisioning and deployment of multiple databases. Developers do not have to install, setup, patch or manage any software. High availability and fault tolerance is built-in and no physical administration is required. SQL Azure Database supports Transact-SQL (T-SQL).
See SQL Azure for more information.
Get Started with SQL Azure
- Download the tools Get Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio to start building and debugging applications for Windows Azure.
- Start the tutorial. Create your first local application. Learn how to create a simple ASP.NET application in Visual Studio for Windows Azure.
- Get a paid account. Set up an account, and access the online portals for Windows Azure, SQL Azure and Windows Azure AppFabric. Learn more , Sign up now
- Deploy your application to the cloud..Learn how to deploy and run your sample application in Windows Azure. Start the tutorial
Take the free online training course with videos and code samples in the learning center on Channel 9, Windows Azure Platform Training Course.
Migrate existing databases. See Migrate MySQL, Access Databases to the Cloud with SQL Server Migration Assistant..
Free Developer Assistance, Marketing Support
Microsoft Platform Ready (MPR) is designed to give you what you need to plan, build, test and take your solution to market. We’ve brought a range of platform development tools together in one place, including technical, support and marketing resources, as well as exclusive offers. With MPR, you can:
- Access training and webinars to help you get compatible.
- Test your application with online resources and testing tools.
- Utilize marketing toolkits including customizable templates for email, letters and presentations.
Sign up today for MPR for Windows Phone 7 at Microsoft Platform Ready.
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation