Design Resources for developers and designers to help you build beautiful apps on Windows Phone 7 has been updated for the Windows Phone Developer Tools in beta and Windows Phone 7 in technical preview.
The UI Design and Interaction Guide for Windows Phone 7 v2.0 has been updated for beta. With additional information and a new layout we hope you will find more readable, this guide provides detailed information about UI elements and controls, UI system behaviors, and the interaction model for the touch interface based on the design system codenamed “Metro”. Designers and developers should read this guide to learn about the dos and don’ts of UI implementations for their Windows Phone applications.
The Design Templates for Windows Phone 7 are a collection of 28 layered Photoshop template files and system fonts that can be used to create pixel-perfect application layouts, to help guide UI development, or to pitch an idea. These design templates showcase many controls that are a part of the Windows Phone Developer Tools Beta. They also include examples of controls that are a part of Windows Phone, but are not available as a part of the Windows Phone Developer Tools.
Let us know what you think. If you have suggestions or feedback about these design resources, please email us at email@example.com.
Highlights for the v2.0 release:
· Completely redesigned format to enhance presentation, readability, and highlight guidance more prominently
- Layout, from left to right, on every page: image, general information in normal type, guidance in bold type
- Use of color highlights per section
- More visible page numbers
- Formatted to support a hard copy version for RTM
· Added new content to support beta release of the Windows Phone Developer Tools
· Re-wrote much of the original content to normalize tone and voice
· Reorganized content into four sections: Metro design philosophy, overview of phone UI and features, application interface controls, and miscellaneous
Version 2.1 is planned for mid-August, and it will include more artwork and bug fixes.
Version 3.0 is planned to coincide with the RTM of the Windows Phone Developer Tools and provide more in-depth attention to hot topics such as panoramas.
Get Started Writing Apps for Windows Phone 7
Get the Windows Phone Developer Tools Beta, available for free.
Check out the latest Windows Phone Training Kit and videos for a step-by-step explanation of the tools to use and key concepts for programming Windows Phones. Read more.
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation