A new version of Microsoft’s Internet Web server, IIS, simplifies building and testing websites for corporate developers and ISVs.
IIS Express will work with Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Web Developer 2010 Express. IIS Express combines the ease of use of the ASP.NET Web Server with the full power of IIS. Specifically:
- It’s lightweight and easy to install (less than 10Mb download and a super quick install)
- It does not require an administrator account to run/debug applications from Visual Studio
- It enables a full web-server feature set – including SSL, URL Rewrite, Media Support, and all other IIS 7.x modules
- It supports and enables the same extensibility model and web.config file settings that IIS 7.x support
- It can be installed side-by-side with the full IIS web server as well as the ASP.NET Development Server (they do not conflict at all)
- It works on Windows XP and higher operating systems – giving you a full IIS 7.x developer feature-set on all OS platforms
For more information, see Introducing IIS Express on Scott Guthrie’s blog.
You’ll be able to get the first public beta of IIS Express shortly.
Bruce D. Kyle
ISV Architect Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation