Windows Azure Toolkit for Facebook — Jumpstart the development of YOUR Scalable Facebook Application
One of the exciting announcements we made last week at SXSW Interactive 2010 was the release of the Windows Azure Toolkit for Facebook. This new toolkit, built by Thuzi in collaboration with Microsoft, incorporates best practices, enabling the rapid development of flexible, scalable, and architecturally sound Facebook applications. In addition to the framework you can download the Simple-Poll sample application that show how to connect you Facebook Application to Windows Azure, blob storage, and SQL Azure.
The toolkit includes:
· Azure Toolkit – Simplified library for accessing Message Queues, Table Storage and SQL Server
· Automated build scripts for one-click deployment from TFS 2010 to Azure
To get started, you’ll need to:
· Visual Studio 2010 RC
· Set up a Facebook Developers Account
· Set up an IFrame Facebook Application
· Set up a Windows Azure Account
· Set up a database in SQL Azure
· Set up a storage account in Azure for Table Storage, Message Queues and Blob Storage
To see the toolkit in action, check out Thuzi.com CTO Jim Zimmerman’s session, Facebook Apps in Azure, at Mix10 last week where he showcased live Facebook applications for Outback Steakhouse and CloudPoll that were both built using the Windows Azure Toolkit for Facebook. Go and try it for yourself, download the Windows Azure Facebook Toolkit from http://bit.ly/azurfb and create, manage, evaluate your custom polls in Facebook with CloudPoll, powered by Azure.
We are interested to hear from you, let us know what you think by posting a comment to this post or via twitter at #azurefacebook and #cloudpoll. To get the latest news on this project follow @cloudpoll on twitter. Don’t forget to let us know how you are you planning to use the toolkit and what additional resources do you need to get started? As always, we look forward to hearing from you.