I been getting a lot of questions lately about the testing story for Visual Studio 2010. Here’s a little summary and resources to get you started.
Products that include Testing features
Three products provide testing functionality in Visual Studio 2010:
- Visual Studio Test Professional: This is primarily for the generalist tester who wants to create manual test cases, run these tests and view the results as part of a test plan. This SKU includes the new application called Microsoft Test Manager. This SKU can be installed quickly and easily on the test machine where the tester wants to run their tests. You can also run automated tests from Microsoft Test Manager if an automated test is associated with a test case using functionality in one of the following two SKUs.
- NOTE – Visual Studio 2010 is not provided as part of the Test Professional.
- Visual Studio 2010 Premium: This provides the features to enable a user to create unit tests and UI automated tests for an application. The tests that are created can be run from Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, the command line, Team Foundation Build, or be associated with a test case and run from a test plan using Microsoft Test Manager.
- NOTE – Microsoft Test Manager is not part of the Visual Studio 2010 Premium SKU.
- Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate: This contains all the test functionality provided for Visual Studio 2010. It includes Microsoft Test Manager providing the functionality for planning, creating, and running test cases. It also enables you to create and run unit tests, UI automated tests, load tests and Web performance tests, generic tests and ordered tests using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. These automated tests can be run from Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, the command line, Team Foundation Build, or be associated with a test case and run from a test plan using Microsoft Test Manager.
- NOTE – If you want to run load tests and simulate multiple users, you must also purchase virtual user license packs.
Full Story on Testing
Here’s the link to get the full story on testing http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182409(VS.100).aspx
Opening Microsoft Test Manager
Here’s a screenshot of how to start Microsoft Test Manager, if you are running VS2010 Ultimate:
Thanks for checking out this post!