Many people have asked what they need to do in order to get the Product Key for the Windows 7 Release Candidate DVD or Download.
It’s a pretty straightforward process, but can get confusing. Unfortunately there’s no one stop page that generates the key. Even after you get the key, you can only use that key to activate 3 times (so only 3 separate machines).
Upside is that you can get a key for each Windows LiveID you have. Also once you’ve gone through the registration process you can quickly go back to re-download the bits or get your key.
Here’s the process with some screenshots pictures:
1. First you goto http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx and click on “Get the Release Candidate” in the global navigation for the page.
2. Once you land on the Download page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the “Download ENTERVERSIONHERE version”, select your language and click the “GO” button.
3. You will then be taken to a page where you can either login with your existing Windows LiveID or “Sign up now” for a new one. I’m not going to walk you through the “Sign up now” process, but it’s very straightforward and the same to get a LiveID for access to any LiveID related resource.
4. With anything you get for free, someone always wants your contact info. You will need to enter your name, email, country, roles, and current os you are using, then you can click continue.
5. Then you will be taken to the “Verify Ownership of your E-mail Address” page. At this point an email will be sent to your LiveID email address. You will need to open your mail client and look for that email. Fortunately the email is sent out immediately. When I did the registration, I just hit send and receive on Outlook and it was there.
6. Once you open up the email, you will see a link to complete the registration process. Just click that link.
7. You will be taken to the “E-Mail Verification Confirmation” page. Just click “Continue” and you will be able to get your key and download the software, if you didn’t already have a DVD.
8. Now you have your key to use during your install of Windows 7 RC.
Regardless of whether you download the software, you can always go back and get your key. If you use a different LiveID, you can get a different key. You will just need to go through the registration process for each LiveID you use.
That’s all there is to it.
Thanks for checking out this post!