The roadmap for Moonlight includes support for Microsoft’s Media Pack 1.0 for playing back video and audio.in a release scheduled for the next few weeks. And support for Silverlight 2 features planned for March.
November/s Moonlight 1.0 Beta includes:
- Support for Microsoft’s Media Pack 1.0 for playing back video and audio.
- Silverlight 1.0 compatible engine.
- C/C++ based, no managed code.
- Distribution: Linux/x86 and Linux/x86-64.
- Source code releases for any other operating systems
March 2009 Moonlight 2.0 Alpha release insludes:
- Silverlight 2.0 compatible engine.
- Deep Zoom
- Control framework
- Layout framework.
- Microsoft Media Pack 2.0 for playing video and audio.
- Includes Mono for executing code (C# and DLR-based languages).
- Runs the Silverlight 2.0 MS-PL controls and 2.0 based applications.
For more information, see Moonlight Roadmap.
Moonlight is an open source implementation of Silverlight primarily for Linux and other Unix/X11 based operating systems. In September of 2007, Microsoft and Novell announced a technical collaboration that includes access to Microsoft’s test suites for Silverlight and the distribution of a Media Pack for Linux users that will contain licensed media codecs for video and audio.
Moonlight will be provided as an open-source plug-in for the Firefox Web browser