With the upcoming release of SQL Server 2008, a refresh of BizTalk 2006 will be released to support SQL Server 2008, Windows Server 2008, and the .NET Framework 3.5. This is not a new release of BizTalk Server per se … it will be built on the existing released bits. This is to ensure compatibility to existing BizTalk applications.
There are some planned enhancements based on customer requests. These include:
- New web service registry capabilities with support for UDDI (Universal Description Discovery and Integration) version 3.0
- Enhanced service enablement of applications (through new and enhanced adapters for LOB applications, databases, and legacy/host systems)
- Enhanced service enablement of “edge” devices through BizTalk RFID Mobile
- Enhanced interoperability and connectivity support for B2B protocols (like SWIFT, EDI, etc)
- SOA patterns and best practices guidance to assist our customer’s implementations
A CTP is expected later this calendar year with an RTM planned in H1 calendar 2009. There is a TAP program planned for R3. Sign up instructions can be found here.