With the upcoming release of SQL Server 2008, a refresh of BizTalk 2006 will be released to support SQL Server 2008, Windows Server 2008, and the .NET Framework 3.5. This is not a new release of BizTalk Server per se ... it will be built on the existing released bits. This is to ensure compatibility to existing BizTalk applications.
There are some planned enhancements based on customer requests. These include:
- New web service registry capabilities with support for UDDI (Universal Description Discovery and Integration) version 3.0
- Enhanced service enablement of applications (through new and enhanced adapters for LOB applications, databases, and legacy/host systems)
- Enhanced service enablement of “edge” devices through BizTalk RFID Mobile
- Enhanced interoperability and connectivity support for B2B protocols (like SWIFT, EDI, etc)
- SOA patterns and best practices guidance to assist our customer’s implementations
A CTP is expected later this calendar year with an RTM planned in H1 calendar 2009. There is a TAP program planned for R3. Sign up instructions can be found here.