Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) has been released to manufacturing. Although the primary purpose of SP1 is to provide improvements to Vista there are some new features including:
- Bitlocker can now encrypt all local hard disks on a PC (instead of just the one containing the Windows partition).
- Support for new security standards.
- A new FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) Compliant mode in the Wireless Client.
- New Smart Card framework enables compliance with EU digital signature directive and national ID and eID.
- New Suite B-compliant cryptographic algorithms used in Windows Firewall and IP Security
- Added support for Direct 3D 10.1.
- Added support for UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) – mew standard environment for booting an operating system.
Windows Vista has become the fastest selling operating system in history with over 100 million licenses. For more information, see Windows Vista SP1 on TechNet.