Using the EV3 extension for Small Basic 1.2, you can use Small Basic to program your Lego Mindstorm EV3 robots! This is a great next step for teachers and parents looking to lay the groundwork on their kids' futures and careers. Lego Mindstorms is a big step toward engineering and computer development, and programming your robots on Small Basic is an even bigger one!
Small Basic is the only educational software that teaches actual text-based programming.
- The core Mindstorms EV3 software uses symbol-based programming. Kind of like the amazing Kodu (http://www.kodugamelab.com/).
- That's great if you're a younger kid who's learning, but once you get the programming concepts and get a little older (8+), then it's time to learn actual programming like the professionals use!
- Working with an icon-based programming environment does not prepare you well for a career in programming because almost all professional programming is done with textual programming environments (C, Java, Python, etc.) rather than an icon-based programming environment.
- For example, it's much less useful and relevant to learn about 'data wires' than it is to learn about 'parameters' and 'arguments'.
- When you're ready to learn more programming languages, just click the Graduate button in the UI to export your code into Visual Basic in Visual Studio Community or Visual Studio Code (also free).
- Then you can keep learning more languages (like Visual Basic, Java, C#, Python, HTML, JaveScript, and C++). You will naturally and organically build off the foundation that you established when you learned Small Basic.
- Small Basic is the simplest and most fun way to ease into professional programming! Now that every desktop has a computer... everyone can code!
Get more information here:
Small and Basically yours,
- Ninja Ed