This is an early look at a potential Small Basic Community Challenge.
The idea here is that we compile a challenge and resulting list of games and programs made by the Small Basic community that are inspired by Alice in Wonderland (the 1865 novel) and Alice Through the Looking Glass (the 1871 novel). (And, yes, both originated with different names than what we refer to them as today.)
Here are some initial ideas…
- A card game themed after the Queen of Hearts from Alice’s adventures. Perhaps Alice is involved, always being chased by the heart suit.
- A version of chess, where Alice is also involved with the white pieces… whether she controls them or rides them into battle!
- Anything with a jabberwocky.
- A talking and smoking caterpillar who reacts to what you type.
- Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum offer you riddles.
- Guess the location of the Cheshire Cat.
- A Mad Hatter themed puzzle game with hats!
- Get the White Rabbit to his engagements on time.
- Explore Wonderland as Alice, move around, and talk to characters in a basic top-down style role-playing game (but focusing only on movement and talking).
Some games might seem more impossible than others, but it would be interesting to try a few things, whether any of these ideas or new ideas of your own! Plus, we can improve each other’s programs as a community and come up with new things to share and experiment with!
Go to http://blogs.msdn.com/SmallBasic to download Small Basic for free and learn all about it!
Small and Basically yours,
- User Ed