Today's featured article:
BizTalk Server is a server product produced by Microsoft and offers scalability and reliability. It is simply unrivaled on the Windows platform or for that matter any platform (see Magic Quadrant for Application Infrastructure for Systematic Application Integration Projects). It is currently in its seventh version (2010) and has grown more robust and feature-rich with each release. It scales both up and out and is designed to meet the needs of even the most demanding enterprises, but it is also designed to work well for medium-sized organizations.
BizTalk Server 2010 is tightly integrated with Visual Studio, Team Foundation Server, and its AppFabric offering. According to Gartner BizTalk Server 2010 has the following strong points:
- Brand recognition, global reach, mind share and a huge installed base of products that is leveraged for BizTalk Server sales, and results in the availability of skills, services and add-ins that fit within the environment. There are many BizTalk user group globally and there is a
- BizTalk Server installed base of more than 10,000 customers — two-thirds are estimated to be BizTalk Server 2006 Enterprise Edition or newer versions, establishing a broad base of mature and stable products with proven track records. Currently estimate is that more than 12.000 customer have BizTalk Server.
- Microsoft will offer AppFabric Connect to integrate BizTalk Server 2010 with Window Server AppFabric, making it easier to leverage Windows Workflow Foundation and Windows Communication Foundation. This is delivered out of the box through BizTalk Server Adapter Pack 2010 and separate download of Appfabric Connect for Services Feature.
- While Microsoft plans slight price increases for all BizTalk Server 2010 editions, its per-processor pricing, combined with the ability to run virtual instances at no additional charge, makes it the least-expensive perpetual license of commercial offerings that Gartner analyzed. BizTalk Server is very suitable for virtualization and easy to run on Hyper-V.
With BizTalk 2010 new feature are present and these are:
- BizTalk Server Settings Dashboard
- Improved Management Pack
- FTP Adapter Enhancements
- Enhanced Trading Partner Management
- Enhanced support for HIPAA documents
- Enhanced BizTalk Mapper
- Support for .NET Framework 4
- SQL Server Backup Compression in BizTalk Server
- SQL Server Transparent data encryption (TDE) in BizTalk Server
- Monitoring known issues in BizTalk Server
- Customer Experience Improvement Program in BizTalk Server
- Updated Platform Support
- Introducing BizTalk Server 2010
- The BizTalk Server Messaging Engine
- Trading Partner Management Using BizTalk Server
- Information Worker Technologies
With BizTalk Server 2010, you can…
|Easy-to-use BizTalk data map and
line-of-business (LOB) Connectivity Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) activities
for .NET developers
|Single, comprehensive parameter
settings dashboard for efficient performance tuning to streamline deployments
|Efficient B2B integration with
scalable Trading Partner Management (TPM) and advance capabilities for complex
|Seamless ability to use BizTalk
capabilities from SharePoint 2010 Business Connectivity Service to access LOB
|New BizTalk Server Management Pack
to provide enhanced visual monitoring and diagnostics
|Secure FTP with a new FTPS Adapter
and an improved FTP adapter
|New intuitive and intelligent data
map and transformation tools
|Streamlined setup and live
|Adapter support for latest
application versions: SAP 7, Oracle EBS 12.1, JD Edwards 9.0, SQL Server 2008
R2, SharePoint 2010
|Improved Visual Studio project and
wizard-driven tools to build integration solutions with IBM mainframe and
|Support for SQL Server backup
|Updated industry protocol
|Built-in components for rapid
development of RFID solutions
|Support for transparent data
|Enhancements to Host Integration
BizTalk Server 2010 Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, and Branch Edition are all licensed on a per processor basis. A processor license is required for each processor on which you install any component of BizTalk Server (for example, BizTalk Server Rules Engine). However, certain tools and components may be installed on a separate device without acquiring a processor license.
Maintaining a healthy BizTalk environment is vital if it need to be up and running 24/7 and is a critical part in an enterprise infrastructure. Key in a healthy BizTalk environment are the database. The health of the databases are very important for a successful BizTalk Server messaging environment.
- BizTalk Databases: Survival Guide
- Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010 Operations Guide
- Microsoft BizTalk Server Operation Guide online (including checklists)
- BizTalk Administrator's Checklist Compiled by Microsoft BizTalk Support
BizTalk Server Adapter Pack 2010 is a part of BizTalk Server 2010 Product and no longer a separate component. Adapter Pack provides connectivity to latest versions of SAP, Oracle E-Business Suite, Siebel and SQL and Oracle Databases.
- BizTalk Server Adapter Pack 2010
- BizTalk Adapter Pack
- Documentation for BizTalk Server Adapter Pack 2010
- BizTalk Adapter Pack 2010 Poster
- BizTalk Adapter Pack 2010 Interactive Poster
An Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) is an architectural pattern and a key enabler in implementing the infrastructure for a service-oriented architecture (SOA). The BizTalk ESB Toolkit 2.1 is a collection of tools and libraries that extend BizTalk Server 2010 capabilities of supporting a loosely coupled and dynamic messaging architecture. It functions as middleware that provides tools for rapid mediation between services and their consumers. Enabling maximum flexibility at run time, the BizTalk ESB Toolkit 2.1 simplifies loosely coupled composition of service endpoints and management of service interactions.
The BizTalk Server 2010 AppFabric Connect feature accommodates development of WF applications that can communicate directly with Line of Business (LOB) systems. The AppFabric Connect feature provides WF developers access to both the BizTalk Mapper and the BizTalk Adapter
Pack 2010. Besides development of WF, the BizTalk Server 2010 AppFabric Connect for Services feature now allows BizTalk users also to expose their on-premise BizTalk Applications as WCF Services on the cloud, by adding Windows Azure AppFabric Service Bus endpoints.
- Install the BizTalk Server 2010 AppFabric Connect Feature
- BizTalk AppFabric Connect: An Introduction
- Work with Appfabric Connect
- BizTalk + WF/WCF, Better Together
- Expose BizTalk Applications on the Cloud Using AppFabric Connect for Services
Host Integration Server 2010 offers technologies and tools for enterprise organizations to integrate existing IBM host systems, programs, messages and data with new Microsoft server applications. HIS 2010 is included with BizTalk Server 2010 Enterprise, and Standard and Branch Edition.
Microsoft BizTalk RFID is an innovative device management and event processing platform at the edge of the enterprise. It is designed to provide a scalable, extensible, platform for development, deployment, and management of rich RFID and sensor solutions.
Microsoft continues support for EDI in BizTalk Server 2010 with new feature Trading Partner Management:
- Trading Partner Management Using BizTalk Server
- BizTalk Server AS2 Functionality
- EDI Solution Architecture
- Developing and Configuring BizTalk Server EDI Solutions
BizTalk Server accelerators include a combination of:
- Industry-specific parsers
- BizTalk XML schema
- Implementation guide
- Orchestration samples
- Reference materials
BizTalk offers the following accelerators:
Empower your organization to meet Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) requirements today and in the future. BizTalk Accelerator for HIPAA provides a rapid, reliable, and fiscally sound path to HIPAA transaction compliance.
Rapidly integrate applications and share patient information within and between healthcare organizations with this comprehensive Health Level 7 (HL7) messaging solution.
Accelerate the implementation of supply chain solutions meeting the rigorous requirements for RosettaNet Integration. BizTalk Server, combined with RosettaNet-specific tools, provides complete support for the RosettaNet e-business standards for supply chain integration.
Integrate financial applications and networks, rapidly deploy straight-through-processing solutions, and reduce the total cost of ownership and implementation time with this accelerator.
For questions on issue with BizTalk Server see BizTalk Server Forums:
- BizTalk Server General (General BizTalk Server discussion)
- BizTalk Server Adapters and Adapter Pack (All questions related to LOB Adapters, BizTalk WCF Adapter, WCF LOB Adapter SDK and BizTalk Adapter Pack)
- BizTalk Server EDI and AS2 (All questions related to new EDI and AS2 features of BizTalk Server)
- BizTalk Server RFID (All questions related to new RFID features of BizTalk Server)
- BizTalk ESB Toolkit (Discussion for the BizTalk ESB Toolkit)
Currently the following books have been released for BizTalk Server 2010:
- Microsoft BizTalk 2010: Line of Business Systems Integration book
- BizTalk Server 2010 Patterns book
- Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010 Unleashed
- BizTalk Server: Books
- Microsoft BizTalk Server Product Home Page
- "How Do I?" Videos for BizTalk Server
- BizTalk Server Developer Center
- BizTalk Server Support Options
- BizTalk Adapters
- BizTalk Server Tools
- BizTalk Roadmap
Originally written by Steef-Jan Wiggers.
Find an updated version of this article here: