Help! After installing Windows 8.1, the SuperSpeed ports of my ASUS system don’t work…

Authored by Eliyas Yakub [MSFT]

Most ASUS systems have a built-in utility named AI Suite II that monitors and configures the system’s hardware components. The utility installs a filter driver (ASUSFILTR) on the USB root hub of each xHCI controller of the system. When such a system (with ASUSFILTR) is upgraded to Windows 8.1, the service entry for the filter driver doesn’t properly migrate due to improper driver installation by AI Suite II. As a result, all USB root hubs (xHCI) fail to start as shown in this image. Therefore, SuperSpeed ports of each root hub will stop functioning.

clip_image002

To resolve the issue,

1. Open Add or remove programs.

2. Choose AI Suite II and click on Uninstall.

You are given an option to change the configuration of the utility.

3. Select the option to delete USB 3.0 Boost and restart the system.

After the system restarts, all SuperSpeed ports will be functional. Please note, the USB 3.0 Boost utility is not required on Windows 8/8.1 because the operating system has a Microsoft-provided UASP driver (uaspstor.sys).

Alternatively, you can reinstall the Al Suite II from this Web site.

1. SERGI0 G0MES says:

I did it but I still couldn`t solve this issue. I have an "Asus Gryphon Z87" motherboard. And I removed it and it didn't work. So I downloaded latest version from Asus website but still no luck. Btw, right now the Al Suite III is available. I tested that. Had to disable in Setup one option related to the USB in the advanced tab. But I wonder how that is going to affect me.

2. Niclas Lindgren says:

I had the same problem, but all I did was to disable the scheduled USB 3.0 Boost Service in the scheduled tasks under ASUS

3. Nicholas Motz says:

After I updated to windows 8.1 from windows 8 I had many problems and this was one of them. No usb's ports worked on my computer. I made sure I had the latest drivers and still no ports worked. I found this and it worked. I have a ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero motherboard with AI Suite III and when I uninstalled the usb 3.0 boost everything worked. It's just to bad I didn't find this earlier!

4. Neo Deckard says:

I have encountered the same problem  when updating to Win 8.1 on Asus Z87 Deluxe. No USB port is working. The only workaround was to disable xHCI in the BIOS which excludes me to use USB 3.0 but I can use USB 2.0 (All USB 3.0 ports are serving now as USB 2.0 ports). I also removed AI Suite III but this did not work. I am now in a Catch 22. WIN 8.1 do not recognize a USB 3.0 hardware because xHCI is switched off, when I enable xHCI, then I can not enter the Windows desktop (No mouse, no keyboard).

WIN TV 7 is also not working after the WIN 8.1 Update. The PCIe-card driver for the Hauppage card is working.

The problem with the NVIDIS raphic card I have solved with an updated driver (before it has shown stereosopic mode…)

5. Eliyas Yakub [MSFT] says:

I came across another report of this issue (Code 19) in the Microsoft forum that appears to be due to FabutaTech class filter (ftusbload2).  Please follow the steps described in this post to fix your issue and let us know the result.

answers.microsoft.com/…/848d2ffd-c8b4-4fa5-bab4-44d04f1f2adc

6. Eliyas Yakub [MSFT] says:

Here is another report of USB ports not working after upgrade on a ASUS system where the issue was due to a  bios setting.

answers.microsoft.com/…/17feadaf-d9bf-41b3-be28-f663dcbf73a5

7. Bill in Edmonton says:

Thank you very much.  This solved my 8.1 problem and avoided a complete reinstall back to Windows 8.  Very much appreciated!

8. Danny says:

THANX..!!!

9. Melissa says:

I am having this problem with a Dell laptop. I just updated to Windows 8.1 and all of a sudden none of my USB ports even recognize anything has been plugged in. I cant upload anything and I've tried updating drivers, re-starting my Laptop and my device and nothing. It isn't even shown with my drives. I don't know a lot about computers so all of these hassles are really getting old. I wish I would not have updated.. :{ Any help out there for a lowly Dell?

10. David says:

WORKED ! wow finally i solved this problem ! this worked like a charm ! thanks so much !

11. gie says:

thx alot 🙂

12. Emre says:

I have a this problem too, but i don't have any AI Suites installed. Universal Serial Bus Controllers and Human Interface Devices all say that they are working correctly. I have no idea what's happening!

13. GRunner says:

I had the same problem with Asus z87-k and Windows 8.1

Updating the BIOS to the latest version fixed the problem.

14. Andrew says:

I tried updating the bios to the latest version but this still didn't help.

15. daddyratz says:

Rampage 4 extreme + 8.1 update = no usb3. My solution… Grab the original mobo disk. Go to driversusb3

do not run setup (will just say wrong windows version and quit install, Go further into  driversusb3IA64. right click on. xchi.inf. Instantly had all my ports back…no reboot required.:)

16. Dan says:

I have the same problem on a self-build with Asus mainboard, (No AI Suite installed).