Guest post from Sean O’Shea, Schools Business Manager (North).
One of the nice parts of my role is to work with amazing people that are dedicated and committed to education. Phil Moore, and his team at Yorkshire and Humber Grid for Learning, are a great example. Several months ago, Phil and I sat down to discuss how we could work together to benefit schools in the YHGfL area, and today is the first day of that initial conversation becoming a reality. If you look on the front page of the YHGfL website today you will be greeted with the following display:
One of the many services that RBC’s can provide is aggregated procurement for schools. This has many advantages, although the most notable and obvious is in the form of saving money. The partnership that YHGfL and Microsoft have signed will provide an opportunity for schools in each of the 11 local authorities that YHGfL support to save approximately 20% on their licensing costs. This is only available up until the 30th June 2012.
This agreement can provide huge benefits to schools. To illustrate this, the typical package for schools is the Education Desktop, or Professional Desktop bundle. The estimated retail price is £41 per Full Time Employee. Under this agreement with YHGfL, schools can purchase this for just £31! With this package, schools have access to:
- Windows 7
- Office 2010
- Client Access Licenses for:
- Lync for Instant Messaging, Presence
- SharePoint to collaborate with
- Exchange for email
- SCCM to manage your devices for updates etc…
- Forefront EndPoint Protection for your Anti-virus
- Windows Server to connect to your network
- Bitlocker to encrypt your laptops
- Work at Home Rights – every teacher and member of your staff under this agreement can use the full version of Microsoft Office at home for free!
YHGfL have selected Phoenix as the licensing partner for this so if you are a school or a local authority in one of these areas then please contact them through the instructions on the website http://www.yhgfl.net/.