The RNIB have announced that their Windows 7 and Vista Explained books for blind and partially sighted users are now available to pre-order, and will be shipped by the end of May. It's a step-by-step guide to Windows 7 and Vista from a non-visual perspective,and is specifically written to empower blind and partially sighted computer users with whatever access technology is being used.
It may be useful for you because it has been written for trainers and people supporting users with sight loss, as well as blind and partially sighted computer users.
It’s available in the following formats:
- Clear print - 14-point Arial, includes clear print images
- Standard audio CD
- Multimedia CD - contains full text and audio DAISY with DAISY player, HTML and braille-ready editions
Images (sold as separate volumes)
- Braille tactile images
- Large print images
Order a copy from the RNIB Online Shop or contact RNIB on 0303 123 9999 to place an order.
Free Accessibility Resources from Microsoft
There is also an updated (and free) Microsoft Accessibility Guide for Teachers, which you may find useful
The RNIB website also gives a handy list of Accessibility Resources from Microsoft too:
- A Guide to Transitioning to Windows 7 for People with Disabilities will help you with the transition by explaining how some of the most prominent features have changed from previous versions of Windows, including the Start menu, the taskbar, and Windows Explorer.
- Accessibility at Microsoft is the homepage for Microsoft's information and resources for making the computer easier to see, hear and use. Below are some highlights from this page:
- Demos of Accessibility in Windows is a series of demos that show how to find and use the accessibility settings and programs.
- Microsoft Accessibility CD Sets are no longer available for shipment. However, all materials found on the CD sets are available online for immediate use.
- Assistive technology products overviewis a resource to guide you in selecting and shopping for assistive technology products.
- Accessibility Tutorials for Microsoft Products are step by step tutorials to introduce you to some of the most commonly used accessibility features.