It's been quite a while since I posted up the UK Shift Happens presentation,and UK Shift Happens download. For some reason, whilst checking the pages this evening, the server seems to be having a problem with the page. So, to ensure that everybody can still get it, here it is all over again:
Shift Happens is a brilliant PowerPoint presentation, which has a strong message for educational audiences. It works as an opener for conferences or events where the future of education and learning is under discussion, or where you want to provoke a discussion about learning.
This version is the UK version of Shift Happens, modified from Karl Fisch's American original to reflect both a UK context, and designed specifically for an audience of people involved in the UK education system.
- Karl Fisch, of Arapahoe High School in the US, conceived and created the first version of this presentation for a staff development day. And published it on the web via his website. He released it and gave permission for others to modify it under a Creative Commons licence.
- Scott McLeod modified it, to make it more relevant to an audience in a wider context. And published it on the web with a Creative Commons licence
- After conversations with Karl & Scott, I modified Scott's version to include UK-relevant content (it was quite US-centric)
- And then Jeff Brenman, of Apollo Ideas, applied the creative design to Scott's version. And published it on the web via SlideShare where, incidentally, it won the competition for the "World's Best Slideshow"
- And finally, with Jeff's permission, I modified his with the UK context. And published it on the web
This Shift Happens download has become one of the most popular resources for people searching for the Shift Happens presentation, and especiall the Shift Happens UK Version
There are two versions available here:
- For an easy to use version, then download the movie which includes the soundtrack - then you can embed it into your PowerPoint presentations or play it directly in Windows Media Player etc
- Alternatively, you can download the PowerPoint presentation, which can be modified as you wish.
Right Click and "Save Target As..." to download either file
Movie (Windows Media File): Shift Happens UK version (27MB)
If you modify this version, and following the norm of the Creative Commons Licence, we’d all ask that you share it on the web too, so that others can benefit.
Update: Since the original version created by Karl Fisch, over 4,000,000 people have seen his presentation on YouTube alone! Karl has posted a very detailed reflection on the content on his blog, which analyses the sources and his original intentions for publishing. Some of the sections/slides he refers to aren't in this UK version, but there is very interesting comment from him worth reading if you are interested in looking into the presentation more deeply.